• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Access to the upper rear shackle mount?

BrianDunning

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all - my upper rear shackle mount is making just too much noise -- I've been spraying it with penetrating lube for 2 years but that only lasts a couple days. I want to take it out to either grease it for real, or replace the bushing. My concern is that from a visual inspection it doesn't look like there's any access to the nut that holds the bolt -- it's inside a frame member. I don't want to undo something that can't be redone. I can't find anything on YouTube showing the upper bushing. Any pointers?

It's welded to the frame, but they break loose a lot of times when rust is a issue. It can be accessed thru the bumper mount.

Do you mean the nut is welded to the frame? So theoretically I could unscrew the bolt, do what I need to do then put the bolt back in and tighten it, without ever removing the bumper?

You don't have to do anything unless the nut were to break free.

No first hand experience here, but if I correctly understand that which I have read then it may still be advantageous to remove the bumper so you can apply heat to that nut. Rumor has it the factory installed the bolt with red Loctite or some such thing. Judicious application of the hot wrench may improve your quality of life.

Unfortunately, from the sound of it, the bolt is probably seized in the collar of the bushing and a fun evening is in store. Make sure you have a replacement bolt and nut at the ready for when you may eventually need to cut it off and ez out the stub of the bolt left in the nut. And then antiseize the hell out of the bolt when putting it in to avoid it rusting to the new bushing again.

I agree with dan1977 IF there is an issue.

BUT, let's not put the cart before the horse. Get under there with a wrench and see if the bolt breaks free. You have one major advantage here and that is the application of penetrating oil over a 2 year period.

Hopefully the bolt will spin right out. If not, THEN we should discuss a different course of action.

Back