• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ram assist wandering

TerraFirma

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody running a hydro assist? Just installed mine and it seems to wander a bit like a full hydro system. Thought assist kits were supposed to feel like a normal steering set up just less input force to turn.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I have hydro assist.

I have also help set up a few systems on other rigs.

nobody I know, or have personal connection to have ever complained about wandering from assist.

specs on your system would be helpful.

Last edited:
Mine has started to wander a bit but I attribute it to track bar bushings and not having enough caster.

Does it wander or is it twichy?

Something with worn out parts (tres on the tie rod, track bar joints, balljoints, wheel bearing) may wonder but if everything is good your ram is the ultimate stabilizer.

Going to need to be just slightly more specific....

Mine felt slightly different when I finally hooked up the ram a few months ago. I thought it might be wondering but I was focused in it and hyper sensitive to it. Once I just drove it feels the same. I hopped the sized of my ram to 1.75" what size are you running?

Mine felt slightly different when I finally hooked up the ram a few months ago. I thought it might be wondering but I was focused in it and hyper sensitive to it. Once I just drove it feels the same. I hopped the sized of my ram to 1.75" what size are you running?

with my PSC pump, overdrive pulley, and 1.5" ram... mine is hyper sensitive too. thats a great way to describe it actually. it returns to center very well actually, and is great offroad. very fast and responsive, with plenty of power. but i have considered a bigger ram as well.

how much of a difference for drivability was the addition of the new/bigger ram?

with my PSC pump, overdrive pulley, and 1.5" ram... mine is hyper sensitive too. thats a great way to describe it actually. it returns to center very well actually, and is great offroad. very fast and responsive, with plenty of power. but i have considered a bigger ram as well.

how much of a difference for drivability was the addition of the new/bigger ram?

OK, sounds like we have the same setup, I assume you have the small bore box as well. I noticed it just a little when I first put the ram on but quickly got used to it. It was not a huge change from running the same setup without the ram.

Real difference is the single consistent feel in or off road in all conditions. The wheel never acts like it struggles to turn at all.

On road I go 70 or so on the freeway. I behaves a little different but nothing bad. I think the larger ram slowed it down a tad??

Back