• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spotter driver two way radio?

AIbandit

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I've been trying to find info on radios however most on pirate go into ham license land.

I just need some radios to communicate between spotter/driver.
Ideal would be 12v chargeable
mobile so we can swap between vehicles.
and Good vox.

What's the down side to using motorola FRS two ways?

I read a lot of good things about blueant but it seems they discontinued that line.
Anyone know what model/manufacturer filled in that place if any?

FSR is a good system for what you're described use. Most of us run CB radios in our rigs and it allows everyone to talk to each other. Also with a CB if you're not with someone you can reach out to the area. FSR has so many sub channels it's sheer dumb luck if you happen onto someone else. If you go FSR hsve a CB as well.

I run a Midland 75-822 CB. Properly set up with tuned 4ft Firestik antenna gets me about 4 miles in the hills, I could fine tune things to get more, but it's plenty for my excursions. The best part is that it can be removed from the vehicle and used handheld with a battery pack; I get about 1.5 miles this way.

Like Iawagoneer stated, FRS would work between you, but not with everyone else; unless they had similar units on the same channel/sub channel. I keep a set of 3 FSRs for camping/hiking as we all travel to different areas, but the CBs are the big guns and get it done 90% of the time.

the MWC and SEC has been using baofeng uv-5r programed with FRS frequencies at their events the past few years and I have been very impressed with the quality of communication at the events. we never had great luck with CBs and these radios are much better than the cheap Motorola radios you get for $20 at walmart

the MWC and SEC has been using baofeng uv-5r programed with FRS frequencies at their events the past few years and I have been very impressed with the quality of communication at the events. we never had great luck with CBs and these radios are much better than the cheap Motorola radios you get for $20 at walmart

Can they do privacy codes?

Looks like they can, Thanks.

https://youtu.be/5dpdo-KIRak

Last edited:
Pulled the trigger on baofeng's any recommendations for headsets that fit well with helmets would be great.

Rugged radios carry headsets for the baofeng radios. I would recommend the usb programming cable while your at it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I the only one going to ask the question, just how far are you from your spotter?

I dunno about your vision but I can't be too far away when spotting ;)

Rugged radios carry headsets for the baofeng radios. I would recommend the usb programming cable while your at it

I picked up a headset on amazon along with the cable.
I looked at Rugged it looks like they have rebranded bao's that cost two arms and 3 legs.

I dunno about your vision but I can't be too far away when spotting ;)

I picked up a headset on amazon along with the cable.

I looked at Rugged it looks like they have rebranded bao's that cost two arms and 3 legs.

They are quite a bit more expensive. But I have had my radio replaced once under warranty. And they replaced my long range antenna on another occasion. They also attend all the big races and provide free programming

Back