• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ V8 Front Driveshaft

themauler

NAXJA Forum User
Hello NAXJA,

I come forward with pics and specs :badpc:

I was recently looking for spare driveshafts in the junkyard and the small bolts on the XJ front tcase yoke give me trouble. Instead I checked out the front ds on a 2002 V8 WJ and ding ding same setup as XJ but longer, bolts came out with zero trouble, and the rubber all looked uncracked.

I have and ax15/231 hanging off of my 4.0 so I needed a long spare that would fit for me. The current one installed on my jeep had to be lengthened by a shop and I wanted one that I could just grab for cheap in the event I need it to get home.

Looks like it will get the spare duty job done!

Had to ratchet to get it to compress all the way.
1de23aa97859d08db39d525083d6e0a4.jpg

From middle of one cap to the other middle cap is about 31.5"
c73eea8ac81d74ebda1b5cddd64bf3a0.jpg

A Noodle for Sure.
89ed5f46b20684759c13f4cf8b9cb143.jpg

A Spicer # for reference.
8111cc70c646f09dec29c437a62d0c4a.jpg

Last edited:
I just picked up one from a 96 ZJ V8 and 231 tc. It was 33" long. There is a chart floating around here somewhere that has all of the front driveshaft lengths from various models and configurations as well as the part number for them. That is was I referenced when looking for a replacement.

Edit* Found it http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1118885

Yeah that list has floated around all over the internet. I am trying to hunt for different vehicles that have compatible drive shafts to our tcase yokes. Obviously the V8 WJs are good candidates because of their age and lower miles (good thing the V8s crap out quick:jester:)

I believe front drive shafts from old square body chevies will work too.
Dodge rams have the same style dshaft with the H yoke but I am seeing they are 1330 joints.
Explorers, Rangers, and Expeditions(?) have the same shaft just longer.

Anything else that would work?

Back