• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driver Side window problem

GoBig06

NAXJA Forum User
My driver side window currently is stuck and won't go up or down. It was on the fritz for the past couple months as it would sometimes work and sometimes not work. Well now it completely doesn't work. I've replaced the window/lock switch and now my passenger windows all work again. I've inspected the door jam and fixed a broken wire and now my front speaker works again. But my driver window still doesn't work and googling fixes only yields people talking about the passenger window problem. There's no grinding noise or any catastrophic failure. It just went out on a whimper. Any idea where to look? I've tried inspecting all the wires and they seem alright. Could the motor have died?

Yes the motor most likely died. unplug it and put 12v to it directly. If it works then your problem is in the door wiring or elsewhere. If it doesn't work the motor is dead.

Best to star with the motor. A bit of a pain but trying to check wiring and switches can take time to sort. If everything else works I'd check the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I took the motor out and applied a DC voltage across the motor. Didn't move. I took the motor apart and started testing contacts. Looks like it wasnt making a connection as I wasn't getting any resistance on my multimeter. I cleaned up the the connection points and applied the voltage acrossed it again and bam! The motor kicked! Went back and installed it all and then hit the window button and.... Nothing. I think there's some problems with the contacts. I might need to clean up some more contact points.

Well, I suggest you apply 12v to the motor again while it's still installed. You may have knocked something loose installing it.

Also put your voltmeter across the harness end of the connector and toggle the switch to see if you get any voltage.

I had one motor where a wire copper core broke/split inside/under the insulation. Best guess is from vibration. The break was very near the junction block.

I could get it to make contact sometimes depending on how I moved the wire.

I finally found it by squeezing the insulation between my thumb and forefinger, I could feel the broken copper core.

Well I cleaned everything up good and the motor is spinning but.... now the window won't go up or down. I think I might have broke something with the window regulator setup somehow with taking it apart.

Found the problem!!! Forgot to put the gear back on the motor. Whoops. Got it back installed and it's up and running now. Unfortunately I broke the door lock getting the door apart the last time. Oh well. I can lock it with the key if I need a manual lock. If anyone is having problems with a dead window motor I would check the connections before spending 50 bucks on a new motor.

Back