• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

reseting the pcm when replacing the TPS?

Rainman

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,
I have a 95 xj, 4.0, aw4 sport.
The tips died recently and I replaced it. It must have been on the way out for a while as the xj has a lot more pep then it has had recently.
Was wondering if reseting the PCM is recommended when you change the TPS as the new tps has different readings at closed and wide open (but still in spec) to the older one.
any input appreciated,

Resetting the PCM is beneficial anytime you make a major sensor or maintenance change. The process is quick and simple, and is not harmful. It is also not strictly necessary as the PCM will eventually update itself.

When resetting the PCM it will use stored default settings. From the default settings it then re-learns to create new settings based on readings from the any replaced hardware and/or sensors.

The PCM also does some emission testing. I'm not as familiar with Renix PCM and emissions and OBD1 I haven't had much experience with. XJ's at some point in the early 90s switched to OBD1. Renix and OBD1 use proprietary OBD connectors. Good scanners for older vehicles are sometimes more difficult to find. There are new OBD1 / OBD2 scanners, often any OBD1 functions are generic and limited.

I also have a older Snap-On MC2500 scanner. It came with various connectors and modules that work with from XJ Renix to OBD2 (2001). Overall I'd say overall it's a better scanner with more functions for an XJ's than the newer OBD1/ODB2 (~$200.00 scanner). Pre OBD2 not as many people use a scanner. I remember while working on a 86 Chev with an ECU, never needing to address any computer and sensor issues at all. I don't believe earlier ECUs did much in the way of emission testing.

95 should be OBD1 where 96 should be OBD2. OBD2 has been continually upgraded and revised since 96.

I'm not certain how much adaptive re-learning OBD1 does when compared to OBD2. The primary function of a PCM (ECU) is for emissions and will tune an engine with emissions are a priority.

My 98 has OBD2. I normally reset after doing any work such as replacing sensors, cat, muffler, ignition parts, etc.

Last edited:
I have not had to do on my 97 or 01, usually flooring it on startup wakes it up and I call it good.

If you don't reset the PCM the PCM usually takes longer to adaptive re-learn. A reset basically removes any stored values and copies default settings created by Jeep into memory. Then adaptive learns from the default settings values rather than the values that are in memory when you were having problems, before any repairs, replacement of parts, etc.

An adaptive re-learn basically does testing for emissions, which will effect how your engine is running. Depending on the problem(s) and what is repaired and replaced you might not notice a huge difference. A reset does effect the algorithms used for emissions.

The primary function of the PCM is for emissions. Individual engine functions, runability become secondary. Good emission usually means a good running engine and the PCM tries to keep the engine running well as to not create additional pollution. However under some circumstances this might not be true and the PCM may e.g. sacrifice run-ability to avoid creating more pollution.

Last edited:
Back