• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 xj NSS issue

95xj2d

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

Recently purchased a 95 Cherokee 4x4 with a 4.0 and auto. When I bought this thing the reverse lights didn't work but the bulbs were good. It then began to periodically refuse to start. I suspected the NSS. Upon removing it I found that it had been damaged by previous owner and was not in sound working order. One of the threaded tabs for the big nut was busted off and missing. I located one off a 99 at a junk yard but the wiring harness was cut. Fortunately the wiper and tabs were good so I put that piece in my unit.

After reassembly it started right up on the first try and the reverse lights work. But then right back to not starting. Reverse lights still work. Adjustment methods I've seen say that turning the NSS with the vehicle in reverse should cause the reverse lights to come on and go out. But no amount of adjustment will make them go out or get the vehicle to start. The 99 NSS had more wires than my 95 so I'm not entirely sure the parts are compatible, but the ones I swapped look identical aside from one missing a fin.

Could use any advice you have. I've searched and read dozens of threads but my problem seems to be unique.

The connections are different as you have noted. You can search for the pinouts and ensure you have it connected correctly.

Did you clean out the new one?

Back