• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pretty sure my exhaust header is cracked.

xCWolf

Bring the Boom
NAXJA Member
I can see what I can only assume is exhaust ever so slightly drifting up from what looks like my headers.

But shouldn't it throw a code because the 02 sensor isn't seeing what it's supposed to?

2000 inline 6 aw4 etc etc

Can you smell this "exhaust"? Exhaust usually isn't really visible on newer vehicles like yours. Seems more likely you have oil leaking and burning when it touches the manifold? If so it will smell. Also, check with a stethoscope, exhaust leaks are far easier to hear than to see.

Start engine, feel around header tubing from underneath. Work quickly, it gets hot fast. You'll feel any exhaust escaping much like you would air from a tire.

They tend to crack right around the collector.

And as for throwing a code, my 99 has had a cracked manifold for years, doesn't throw a code and still passes CA smog check

Buy some SeaFoam. Follow the directions. Look for smoke from the exhaust at and near the exhaust manifolds. Since the 2000-01 have a cast iron exhaust manifold they are not likely to crack. 1999 and older have the tube manifolds, and most of them are cracked.

Start the engine when everything is cold(sitting over night) and reach around. You should be able to feel the exhaust shooting out. Obviously the exhaust gets very hot so be careful.

You guys must like getting burned?

Go spend $10 on a stethoscope at harbor freight....it will pay for itself every single time you use it.

And as for throwing a code, my 99 has had a cracked manifold for years, doesn't throw a code and still passes CA smog check
Thanks wasn't sure because I figured if the o2 sensor doesn't see enough "dirty air" before the Cat I wasn't sure if it would freak out and throw a code

This is the thing I was mostly curious about.

Replace it then, I dunno what you want anyone else to do about it...

It happens.
Replacing it doesn't really answer the question does it throw codes.

I'd like to know how you see what you think is exhaust behind a belt driven fan.

Have you been drinking when you see this?

A leaking valve cover gasket can produce a bit of smoke from that area, and that would be noticeable. Exhaust should be clean and clear, not easy to see.

I'd like to know how you see what you think is exhaust behind a belt driven fan.

Have you been drinking when you see this?

A leaking valve cover gasket can produce a bit of smoke from that area, and that would be noticeable. Exhaust should be clean and clear, not easy to see.

The belt driven fan is on the other side....efan in front of the manifolds

Back