• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JCR utk 1 ton steering

jeeptec

NAXJA Forum User
I'm fighting some bump steer since I raised my XJ 1 more inch. Total of about 5 or so. I'm running the Synergy suspension track bar kit and brace with drop pitman arm. From what I can tell the the track bat and steering are on the same plane. I'm still running the Y linkage with the heavy duty drag link adjuster and tie rod sleeve. I've noticed that the drag lying from the pitman arm to right knuckle is at a pretty good steep angle. I was looking at the JCR 1 ton steering kit . It is similar in design as the later Ram trucks. The Rams have had a Y linkage and went to a T style around 2008. I'm wondering if this would help.
cbb1f569c4ac962f02027b0715ad47a6.jpg
d91ac9efb86cafcc42569028b6b23042.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Still too much of an angle in that pic. Gotta be straight on and best angle would be with the camera lense positioned in the middle of your steering.

so the angles look pretty good, i dont think youll gain much from tweaking things.

did you realign the jeep after you lifted the jeep that extra inch? and could you describe the bump steer your getting? if you didnt have issues with bump steer before, i would guess that you have a wondering issue due to alignment now not bump steer.

Exactly I'm running a complete Synergy track bar kit with pitman arm. My camber -.5 big sides. Caster is at 5.5. I know specs call for 7 degrees. But mine was a 4.5 before the alignment after I lifted it. The toe is at .24 degrees.all specs are in the green per the Hunter alignment rack. I had a small amount of bump steer before I added the 1/2" or so of additional life. It got very noticeable after changing my front coil spacers from 1 stock spacer and (1) 3/4 spacer to (1) 1 3/4 spacer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting today. I had the XJ back on the alignment rack at work today. As I mentioned my caster was at 5.5/5.4. According to our hunter alignment machine I'm in green range. The shop manual calls for 7.0 +-1.5 degrees. Note pinion angle take priority over caster. I added a 1/8 shim on both sides that brought close to 6.5. My pinion angle is fine. I drove it home. No bump steer. I found it very interesting that the XJ can have bump steer at the minimum caster but no wander.

V8 Zj tie rod conversion.
The tie rod in the pics angle is off, it should be almost parallel w/ the ground .
That'll fix that, track bar angle looks good if the vehicle is at ride height.
Pinion angle will have to be at oem for camber/caster to be correct, you'll have to get a d-shaft to compensate for it or cut and turn the knuckles.
IMO, of course.

Last edited:
Yep that is at ride height. Pinion angle is correct. I've already did a Tom Woods longer drive line as mine is low pinion and when I did the first lift I was pulled way out on the splines. Your talking about the tie rod on the drivers side. No one talks about that one.

Yes, v8 zj tie rod conversion is a bolt on.
I think its until '98, no matter though later years won't work.
Anyway I have one on my jeep w/ 6.5", It's a good swap.

Yep that is at ride height. Pinion angle is correct. I've already did a Tom Woods longer drive line as mine is low pinion and when I did the first lift I was pulled way out on the splines. Your talking about the tie rod on the drivers side. No one talks about that one.

no one talks about it because its not a thing.

Yes, v8 zj tie rod conversion is a bolt on.
I think its until '98, no matter though later years won't work.
Anyway I have one on my jeep w/ 6.5", It's a good swap.
he has (what looks to be) an aftermarket tie rod. (the OE one did not use jam nuts). even if it was OE, replacing with a ZJ tie rod would do nothing but waste time and money. point to point relationship would be identical. plus, ZJ tie rods are (while significantly better than stock) still pretty weak.

i really do think your front end looks text book and there really isnt much to improve upon with bolt on stuff. bump steer isnt typically something that can be dialed out with castor... its a product of the relationship between drag link and track bar length.

i dont mean to insult your inteligence, but your confident what you were experiencing was in fact bump steer and not just wandering/darting? i could see a little bit of extra lift messing with the castor and toe, causing wandering....

Well anyway if the jeep hit a bump or uneven on the right the steering wheel and jeep would go left and vise versa. Not drastically but notable.

Back