• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How does one retrieve a trapped (fallen) bolt from the back of a pulley?

NeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey - i was just replacing my t-stat and while starting to try to thread the lower bolt - it slipped out of my fingers and is not lodged behind the water pump flywheel - I can just touch the top of it with my fingers but there doesn't seem to be any other way of getting at it... almost zero access from behind - I tried a magnetic part retriever but it seems the bolt is non-ferrous (not ticking to the bolt at all).

ugh. this is what I LOVE about DIY... (sarcasm, yes)

Long screw driver to knock it out of there. Maybe don't try to grab it as much ad just try to smack it free.

yeah pretty much what i ended up doing... though finally driivng it back in ended up stripping the whole thing to kingdom come... i just don't have the patience for this stuff anymore... guess I have to get it towed the mechanic now... man!

Well the bolt is ferrous, but now get a "heli-coil" !

yeah pretty much what i ended up doing... though finally driivng it back in ended up stripping the whole thing to kingdom come... i just don't have the patience for this stuff anymore... guess I have to get it towed the mechanic now... man!

You stripped the block or just the bolt?

Helicoil or retap to a slightly larger size, and/or buy a new bolt. Next time just loosen the belt and take the pulley off OR buy a magnet scope. A pain yes, but worth it in the long run. Too bad you have to take it to a mechanic just to swap out the t-stat.

well maybe i'll end up just removing the belt and re-tapping... let that be a lesson to others.. I didn't want to deal with the hassle of de-tensioning the belt - really my LEAST favourite thing to do!!

Maybe i'll end up trying to re-tap it myself... at least that something I've done before and feel a BIT comfortable with - but krikey - I guess maybe i would be better off with the mechanic - I think I would have to remove the fan and shroud as well in order to get at it properly... I'd rather just pay someone a few hundred bucks than deal with that...

there - i just managed to talk myself out of it again... :)

Well, if you have more money then time, why not. I am in the reverse position, More time/less money.

it's just burnout really... i have so little patience for skinned knuckles and such.. apart from being a bit anti-talented with such things. It's amazing I was able to swap my own engine (thought years back)

good news - I backed the bolt out a little bit and got it to properly CATCH - AFTER the RTV was already dried though... but I was able to tighten it enough to get barely a drip. I should really put a new bolt in there though. My patience was just frazzled because you really couldnt' stand outside today without burning to a crisp and be drenched with sweat...

thanks guys

For what it's worth, the flange on the housing is thin, and every other time mine comes off it gets filed flat again. If you feel like you need to tighten it to stop a leak, you probably need to straighten it.

Very easy to warp that flange, so it doesn't need to be very tight.

Back