• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC Compressor replacment

Dulltip

NAXJA Forum User
I've done a few GM and Ford AC compressor replacements in my younger days, but not an XJ. I'm researching replacing my 1995. I did the shim work a few years ago but that didn't last long and the squeal is creeping back.

Any recommendation on brands of compressors to avoid?

-DT

I put in a Spectra way back in 2010 and haven't had issues. Got it from rockauto for pretty cheap I remember.

I buy compressors from Auto Zone. I figure if it don't work I can go back and put it on the counter and say give me another one. Haven't had to return one yet.

Just logged in to start a thread with my question and saw this. Not meaning to hijack but anyone know if the compressor from a 98 will work in an 01? I put the pulley from the 98 onto the 01 last summer but the clutch wouldn't work. So I've been running it without the clutch installed. Just parted out a 98 and was wondering if I can just bolt the compressor up to the same lines and all without issues. They are definitely different model numbers by the way.

I'm stuck debating do I just do the clutch or do the entire job (compressor, dryer, expansion valve) when all that isn't working well is the clutch. Granted that's today with 200K miles. I fear doing the entire job would be better pay back for the long haul. Being I live in southern AZ, air conditioning ranks high on the must have list.

I had the compressor serviced and filled last summer. Then the bearings literally cooked. Don't want to have to mess with getting refridgerant and all that so I'll probably just throw on a pulley with clutch. Kinda crazy to spend almost as much as a compressor on just the pulley/clutch but a lot easier to change just the pulley. Or maybe buy the whole compressor and use the pulley from it and have a spare compressor?

I went through the same internal debate when my compressor clutch was going out.

I finally decided all new compressor was the safer long term bet. It would really suck to spend a ton on a new clutch setup just to have the compressor die.

I recently bought a vacuum pump and gauges for about the cost of what a shop wanted for an evac and charge. Now I can evac and have gauges any time I need them.

Back