• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OMG, hood lifts !!!!!!

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
I can't believe I've never done this before(after 16yrs with this XJ). Anyway back in 2012 I had a stroke, and I haven't had use of my right arm since therefore I haven't been able to lift my hood in 4yrs! This morning I installed the WP hood lifts, now I can open/close it with one hand!

Similar story, can not longer do heavy lifting, planning to use these on 4 of my jeeps after having done some research/shoping. Mine are 85-89, the one you used will not work on the older hood set ups. Could make my own with old rear hatch lifts, but have too much work and too many projects these days

http://www.redlinetuning.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=Jeep+Cherokee+1987

All I can say is, NICE !!

Oh, it sucks liking to DIY and suddenly no longer being able to lift more than a gallon of water, and barely being able to do that. Lost 80 lbs, 1/2 of which was muscle mass in 2014, now have chronic severe rheumatoid arthritis and can no do heavy exercise to rebuild the lost muscle. Learning new ways and new tools to get things done but need a buddy to help more often than not.

Yeah, that does suck.

If they went a little further, you could still pull your engine. I wonder how hard it is to pull it down? I'm pretty tall and it's most of my reach to prop it up with only a mild lift and tires.

Piece of cake now, I'm only 5'8" with a 6" lift!

No, and the pull it takes to close is very minimal. It is extremely well balanced.

Always toyed with doing this. Saw these awhile back that made me start thinking about it. Kinda figured you could make your own for half the price though.
To RCP Phx:
What are the WP hood lifts you are talking about?

To Ecomike:
Which ones at the Redline Tuning are you considering? Was thinking the middle of the road ones. QuickLIFT PLUS. Just wish they had the instructions for the Plus. Just show them for the cheaper ones. The brackets the struts attach to look much different in the better ones and wonder how they attach.

It absolutely can be done DIY, an old set of worn out hatch struts are usually still strong enough to lift a hood.

That being said, even the kits are very reasonable $$ wise, either way gets the job done.

Best mod ever, combined with hood pins.

I just realized my surplus of ball studs and struts, I may just try this as well.

Have a perfectly good set of 97-01 struts but I fear I would bend the hood trying to close it.

Always toyed with doing this. Saw these awhile back that made me start thinking about it. Kinda figured you could make your own for half the price though.
To RCP Phx:
What are the WP hood lifts you are talking about?

To Ecomike:
Which ones at the Redline Tuning are you considering? Was thinking the middle of the road ones. QuickLIFT PLUS. Just wish they had the instructions for the Plus. Just show them for the cheaper ones. The brackets the struts attach to look much different in the better ones and wonder how they attach.

Was thinking of the QuickLift, what advantage do you see to the Plus?

I just realized my surplus of ball studs and struts, I may just try this as well.

Have a perfectly good set of 97-01 struts but I fear I would bend the hood trying to close it.

That is why I like the Redlinetuning Quicklift design, it attaches to the hood way higher, less chance of it getting in a bind and bending the hood. And I don't have time anymore to experiment with hardware locations and finding the braket-socket hardware.

Was thinking of the QuickLift, what advantage do you see to the Plus?

I don't know. Wish they had specific install instructions for the 2 better ones so maybe I could determine any advantage. I just see that it is not the more traditional setup like the cheapest one and most of the other ones you find online. The ball stud brackets look different and I wonder why. When buying parts in general rule of thumb for me has been to go middle of the road when you have 3 choices and buy the better one when you have two. I work in an auto parts store. For most parts there is always a couple choices. Also depends on how much I care about the specific vehicle. You have the ones you baby and the ones you are just trying to keep on the road.

Last edited:
I looked at the Redline kits today, they are pretty close to same(price/style) with the exception of Redlines use of rivets for the mounting which I don't like!

Use the weakest one you have, or it'll be realllly stiff/strong. The hatch is heavy.

with the exception of Redlines use of rivets for the mounting which I don't like!

5 years ago when I did my strut, I used self tapping screws, thinking surely they wouldn't last very long..... They're still working fine, i would totally use pop rivets. Might add an extra one to disperse the load, but I'd run it.

Back