• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie with his first lifted XJ

CBullas

NAXJA Forum User
1996 xj classic on RC 4.5 front set up and rusty's add a leafs and shackles in the rear, running 32x11.5r15 MasterCraft AXT tires. I'm getting a horrible vibration off throttle anywhere from 30-75 mph and cannot figure it out. Sounds like exhaust hitting, but have checked everything and it is tight and not even close to hitting anything. This only happens off throttle, not under load and does not change whether in gear or neutral. Any tips for a newbie????

Welcome!

Do you have a SYE kit installed or transfer case drop or stock driveline?
Is there any sound associated with it? like a grinding or whirring sound?

Sounds like you have a bad u joint on rear shaft. Pull the drive shaft out and check for binding or loose u joints. If there's no tcase drop or sye installed you should look into that also.

No SYE or T-case drop yet. Going to install T-case drop tonight, just recv'd. it in the mail tonight. Will check u-joints at the same time. Thanks for the responses!! I will post reults later or tomorrow. What do you guys think of the adam's drive shaft and rugged trail SYE?? They seem to have the best prices out there and trying to keep to some kind of a budget!

when I first lifted my 00 up 2" I had a growl when I let off the gas; only when I let off the gas. If I held my foot just right I could make it do it nonstop. It was like trippled said, bad u-joint on the rear shaft at the axle side. I installed a SYE and got a used front shaft rebuilt/balanced for the rear when I went up to 4". Cost $100 total for the shaft and parts/balancing. Friends have used Adam's and like their work.

Sounds exactly like what I have going on, if I hold my foot just right it will continue. Like I said earlier, I have the T-case drop kit and new u-joints for the rear shaft and will be installing the drop kit tonight. I will most likely change the u-joints on the rear shaft also

T-Case drop solved it !!! Now to save for the SYE and driveshaft for a complete solution. Thanks all for the tips!!! I now have a reliable source for all my XJ troubleshooting problems.

T-Case drop solved it !!! Now to save for the SYE and driveshaft for a complete solution. Thanks all for the tips!!! I now have a reliable source for all my XJ troubleshooting problems.

Excellent. Glad you figured it out. Lots of good resources on here. I hope you consider becoming a member. Membership yearly fees are very reasonable and the money goes towards land use nationwide to help keep trails open.

http://www.naxja.org/html/membership_faq.htm

Back