• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting p0320 code but its running

jeepsterman

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I am getting the p0320 code on my 98 cherokee sport. I have searched around on the web and it sounds like its the crank positioning sensor but the weird thing is the jeep will still run and drive. From what I have read people that have had this code say that there jeep won't even start. Any help will be appreciated thanks!

Not all CEL codes result in an instantly non-running engine. It would be wise to diagnose the problem before it does get worse.

P0320 - Ignition/Distributor Engine Speed Input Circuit

Possible causes

- Faulty Ignition/Distributor engine speed sensor
- Faulty Crankshaft Position sensor
- Ignition/Distributor engine speed sensor wire harness open or short circuit
- Ignition/Distributor engine speed sensor circuit poor electrical connection
- Low battery charge
- Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)

Not all CEL codes result in an instantly non-running engine. It would be wise to diagnose the problem before it does get worse.

P0320 - Ignition/Distributor Engine Speed Input Circuit

Possible causes

- Faulty Ignition/Distributor engine speed sensor
- Faulty Crankshaft Position sensor
- Ignition/Distributor engine speed sensor wire harness open or short circuit
- Ignition/Distributor engine speed sensor circuit poor electrical connection
- Low battery charge
- Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
If it was a faulty Crankshaft Position sensor is it possible that it would still run?

The renix jeeps start and run (slow to start) with a bad dizzy camshaft sensor. So that and the low battery voltage or wiring to the sensor, etc are far more likely. The Crank sensor is not likely IMHO.

The renix jeeps start and run (slow to start) with a bad dizzy camshaft sensor. So that and the low battery voltage or wiring to the sensor, etc are far more likely. The Crank sensor is not likely IMHO.
Ok thanks, I will check around on the wiring and test my camshaft sensor.

If it was a faulty Crankshaft Position sensor is it possible that it would still run?

How faulty does the CPS need to be to trigger the CEL, vs. how faulty to result in a non-running engine ? That is a good question. Do you want to fix it in your driveway, or on the side of a busy road ?

CPS failure is very common, the failure can be intermittent, and it would be my first suspect.

How faulty does the CPS need to be to trigger the CEL, vs. how faulty to result in a non-running engine ? That is a good question. Do you want to fix it in your driveway, or on the side of a busy road ?

CPS failure is very common, the failure can be intermittent, and it would be my first suspect.
I'm not saying I'm going to drive it around like this I was just wondering why it would still run if the cps was bad. Also I did a test on it with a voltmeter and a guide I found online and everything checks out on the cps.

I'll bet it's the distributor sensor. I've had two go bad
in my 96, and when the first went bad the engine would
still run. With OBD II the ecu will use the last known
cam position to fire the injectors, even though the sensor
isn't working.

The sensor is super easy to replace, and relatively inexpensive, IIRC.

Back