• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 trans pan drain plug

Jbh97009

NAXJA Forum User
So over the last few years my trans has been 'leaky'
I replaced the fluid/filter/gasket and the pan itself is good, no leaks, however the drain plug still dribbles. Enough that over the course of 8-10 months my crossmember had a fair amount of fluid on it.

Now, the jeep has been sitting for about a year, a couple weeks ago I swapped t-cases and I wasn't paying attention and had my blocks (supporting the trans while crossmember was removed) sitting right under the drain plug.... I know, dumb move on my part.
Anyway, now the leak is probably 10x's worse (engine hasn't even been running, it's just sitting)

Is it possible I could have cracked the pan around the drain plug?
Is this a 'common' issue?

I was tempted to just drain the fluid, and put some thread sealer on the drain plug and refill it to see how it plays out, but I'm tired of leaks and silly crap so I'm beginning to wonder if I should just replace the pan?

I guess that is my question, are these pans known to crack? Just seems strange that after my fubar move its leaking so much worse....

All my previous xj's I don't remember having any leaky drain plug issues like this one

I once had a nylon washer to split on a drain plug, and it dripped like
crazy. That might be what's happened to yours.

The AW4 was designed with a strong steel pan and a weaker steel drain plug.
that way, when something strips, it's the most easily replaceable part.
There is a special conical crush washer for the plug. The pair can be bought very cheaply.

That makes sense. Now that I think about it, I don't even know if there is a washer of any sort on there.

I'll check tonight, thanks guys

Yeah, I'd recommend a rubber or fabric/rubberized washer. It's sometimes hard to get a metal washer to seal up the slight cone shape of the plug.

AW4 uses a copper crush washer, and like cruiser54, a weak pan bolt. Both are readily available from Jeep dealers, Toyota dealers, and maybe even your auto parts store if it's any good.

Of course every parts store around is out of everything that could possibly be of any use....
I found some torque converter bolts that were the same thread, just a little long.
I bought some rubber-ish 'drain plug gaskets' that kinda fit the plug, and I'm going to put a dab of thread sealer on the plug too.
We will see how it goes. I'm still just surprised at the amount it's been leaking just sitting there, kinda scares me.

There was what looks like a well crushed crush washer on it when I took it off though

Of course every parts store around is out of everything that could possibly be of any use....
I found some torque converter bolts that were the same thread, just a little long.
I bought some rubber-ish 'drain plug gaskets' that kinda fit the plug, and I'm going to put a dab of thread sealer on the plug too.
We will see how it goes. I'm still just surprised at the amount it's been leaking just sitting there, kinda scares me.

There was what looks like a well crushed crush washer on it when I took it off though

Any tranny shops around?

A little late to the party, so just FYI this is what I found a while back. Oil Drain Plug Transmission M10-1.50, Head Size 14mm. This size is used on some toyotas and lexus models in mid 2000, chevy aveo too, And they are hard to find locally. A quick fix is hit the Ace hardware and get a similar sized bolt and washer of choice. The online parts finders of these parts stores is not very "crossed sized" friendly for this part. You probably hit the same parts stores I use, they are not very good about in stock parts for these old renix's.

Dorman 65242 & 91-078
NAPA# 7041049

Back