• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fan hitting ac compressor

97jeepxj1

NAXJA Forum User
So I changed the mechanical fan clutch (duralast part# 922625) on my 97 cherokee and after I reassembled it the fan was just barely hitting the clutch on the ac compressor with 1 blade. Figured maybe the fan was tweaked and I didn't know it so I swapped on another fan blade I just happened to have and still had the same issue. Any ideas? Bad clutch? I ended up bending the blade a small amount for clearance so I can use the jeep tonight and then work on it some more tomorrow in the light. I did notice that the little bit of pressure I put on the blade to bend it out made the clutch really hard to turn initially till i pushed back on the clutch assembly then it turned as it should.

I'd check the bearing and make sure it doesn't have any play in it. I also had an issue when I swapped clutches on my 98....fan ended up an inch closer to the radiator, the clutch surfaces were different, I switched to a different brand to solve that issue.

I would suggest better quality repair parts. A NAPA fan clutch fit perfect in my 98.

I have found over and over that cheap parts are cheap for a reason, and Duralast parts really suck. Now that I am done giving unasked for opinions, I had a couple thoughts, did you get a fan clutch for a ZJ Grand Cherokee ? I cannot tell you the number of times o'riellys and autozone guys get confused, or even forget at ask, and assume you are buying parts for a Grand Cherokee. Is the Harmonic Balancer going out ? The pulley can drift forward as the balancer wears out. When it went in my 98, the fan was making contact with something until I installed the new balancer.

after drving around yesterday looking at the other stores because the one by my house was out of stock it turns out that the part number was right but it was the wrong part in the box. Even the picture in the computer for the part is wrong. Now I have to figure out what the deal is with my wifes 97 GRAND Cherokee is because it started to act up on me while i was driving it.

Back