• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junkyard horns?

Demonoid369

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Odd question I know. Tried searching and didn't really see anything but train horns lol but was wondering if there was any horns from other vehicles that are a bit louder than our stock that would swap right in. I don't have a air system to do air horns so I was wondering if there is a junk yard find that could work. Mines a 97' xj if that matters at all

Horns are pretty basic in their setup. the XJ ones only have 1 wire going to them as the mounting bracket appears to be the ground and the 12v comes from the wire when the horn is pressed.

anything will likely require a bit of fiddling to get to work correctly. Might have to make a ground strap or bracket but you should be able to use horns from any vehicle on it.

If you want super loud horns these will do the job.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/182157496378?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

they have a higher pitched "car" tone but not as piercingly high pitched as the hella supertone model. They are LOUD at 118dB. Ive heard them in person on my friends subaru a few years ago and it hurt the ears up close.

I got the cheap loud horn from O'Reilly's to replace mine. If you find a two pronged horn in the JY, just run a jumper from one of the prongs to the mounting screw to get your ground.

I have the hellas on mine. They are a weird pitch, but they get someone's attention. For the price they work well.

Same here. I put them on my KLR 650 as well.

An older Chevrolet or Ford dual horns will do the job. I usually get them from a van or SUV.

Back