• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aussie or spartan?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK so I used to have poweertrax no spin in my XJ and loved it. Then I got Detroit.... Now I'm building another d44 for a family adventure rig which means no wheeling but a little bit of extra help... So Aussie or spartan? Pros cons for each?

My Aussie outlived my Spartan 3 fold. Eventually sold the Aussie when I axle swapped, the Spartan was returned under warranty. In the Spartans defense... It was in the rear behind a manual. I don't think wheeling killed it alone, I think the driveline shock from the increased backlash was a huge contributing factor.

You planning to lock the front or rear, or both?

Aussie

I have an Aussie in the front (first one I locked - 2 years with just that) and then added a Spartan in the back.

Not as fond of the Spartan. Lots more popping. Also, and I don't know if this is the locker's fault, but when I did the rear, I also did a full case SYE, and ever since doing both at once, I'm getting weird vibes.

That all said, I expected, once my rear was locked, that I'd have seen a better gain in being able to crawl over things. I think my performance improvement was simply marginal in comparison to my expectation.

I'm running a Spartan in my front 44. I don't hammer down on it like some others I've seen but it's holding up just fine to my 37s. I ran a Lock-right years ago and loved it although it was a bit noisy. Lokka is another brand to look at. I've heard nothing but good things about them but have no first hand experience.

What is the history of LOKKA?
LOKKA has been manufactured in Australia since the late 1990’s and has been sold globally under its own brand name or re-branded for local resellers.
From 2003 to 2012 it was best known in North America under the brand name Aussie Locker™*

I've got an Aussie is my 2000 with an 8 1/4. It is Very noisy. But it works extremely well. I think it locks harder than any power trax I've ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the history of LOKKA?
LOKKA has been manufactured in Australia since the late 1990’s and has been sold globally under its own brand name or re-branded for local resellers.
From 2003 to 2012 it was best known in North America under the brand name Aussie Locker™*

Well then...disregard my advice haha

I've ran aussie and Spartan. both served me well. its a lunch box locker, they are all about the same I'd go with whichever you can get cheaper.

That very locker of which Jason speaks now lives in my rear differential...

I believe we should have a sticky in the FAQ section about diffs/lockers and their "performance."

Open, Limited Slip, Lunch Box, Selectable, Welded/Spool. Each with pros and cons, competing brands, and maybe a simple picture. It may add to the depth of knowledge that can be found under the FAQ section and help answer peoples’ questions immediately instead of waiting for responses…

Aussie and buy a hardened cross pin for it. Or just fork out cash for a grizzly or detroit.

I've been running a spartan in the front of mine for about a year now on 34" TSL's. Noisy yes but I haven't had any issues with it. I ride my jeep every weekend, I don't beat on it like I do my one ton rig but I hit the gas when the time calls for it, haven't had any issue's to date. I'd say both are roughly the same, go with whichever you can get cheaper.

Back