• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15 or NV3550?

SouthSeaPirate

NAXJA Forum User
Swapping out my blown engine soon and figure I better think about trans. Good opportunity to replace if necessary.

XJ being fixed is an 01 and the parts XJ is a 95. That said, both will be external slave.

Here are the contenders;

2001 NV3550
Unknown history, but have been using for 30K or so
Noisy, but more quite when I switched to AMSOIL
Shifted better when going to AMSOIL
Known to pop out of 2nd or 3rd gear when dragging on said gear; mine has done this with 3rd gear while dragging going down a steep mountain. Otherwise hasnt been an issue, but concerned this may worsen.
Throwout bearing always rides on PP
New throwout bearing shaft due to it exploding and destroying said shaft

1995 AX-15
Unknown history
Grinds when trying to put in first and reverse, but clutch engages at floor; looking to bleed and get it operational enough to test the trans.
Throwout bearing doesnt ride on PP

Possible option is continue to use the NV3550 and in time rebuild the AX15 in my own time, assuming the NV3550 will hold out.

I know the AX is a direct swap with the exception of the shifter; but what about slave, clutch, PP, and pilot?

I was in the same boat a couple months back. The NV3550 noise and popping out of gear aggravated me to the point of replacing it with a junkyard 1997 AX-15.

No regrets so far.

I ended up using my 2001 bell housing, slave, clutch, and pilot with no issues

Hopefully I can get the 95 up and running well enough to thoroughly test the trans. Cant wait lol

Another question, how did you like the shifting change? Or was their any? Better? Worse?

Thanks!

In my opinion the AX-15 shifts better heading down the road but I have to let the transmission turn a little sometimes to get it to go into reverse.

I don't do the shift trick as often as I used to. Learned on German car ,fancy way of saying vw, 1st and reverse were right next to each other, it was a natural bump.

My old XJ it so worn out I had(have?) a feel for it and something didn't even use the clutch going to second, reverse could do the same if the temp and rpms were right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you sir
Ive decided i want to get the 95 enough going to throughly test the AX15
Dont want to use it if its toast as the 3550 was fine other than the normal issues
That and Im pretty confident i can rebuild an AX15 so long as i have time to do so

Back