• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 crawl box question

VAhasnoWAVES

NAXJA Forum User
so... i picked up a 231 crawl box and dana 300. planing to bolt it up to my AX15 behind the 4.0. i plan to build this on the bench and enjoy the axle swap i just completed over the winter, so i havent pulled my current 231 yet.

but something i am not sure of is how to mount the crawl box to the trans. i assume i need to flip the crawl box to clear the front output of the flipped 300 i plan to put behind it.

any input?

Yup you just have to hog out 3 of the holes. I've been working on my doubler as well and you have to hog out I think three holes in the pass side of the tranny. Then a clocking rig for the 300 is great because you can clock it wherever.

When people talk about 231/300 doublers, all I can think about is blown up 300's. This split case was just a few weeks ago at The Crawl.

1zh1soo.jpg

Meh, I've seen plenty of D300's survive.

The trick(s) to keeping them alive:

1.) 32 spline inputs/outputs
2.) Support the case, help keep it from wanting to move/twist
3.) Not having a super heavy rig
4.) Not having too much horsepower

If my doubler ever gives up the ghost, which it hasn't yet behind 1 tons and 40" stickies...

I think I'll skip the atlas.

HERO case or bust :D

Meh, I've seen plenty of D300's survive.

The trick(s) to keeping them alive:

1.) 32 spline inputs/outputs
2.) Support the case, help keep it from wanting to move/twist
3.) Not having a super heavy rig
4.) Not having too much horsepower

If my doubler ever gives up the ghost, which it hasn't yet behind 1 tons and 40" stickies...

I think I'll skip the atlas.

HERO case or bust :D
I have all the above and blew it up. That pic is of mine.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Fair enough :laugh:

The only way I'd throw in an Atlas, is finding a used 4 speed, forgot they don't make a 3 speed...

New, might as well go with something pretty dang unbreakable :D
Yeah, the new design has quite a few improvements over the last Atlas 2 design. I think I'll be happy with it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Fwiw, I've been running my 231/300 setup for about 3 years. Portals, stroker, 40's, and an unsupported case. No issues.

I also tend to do plenty of fwd burnouts on asphalt....so...

I wasn't smart enough to figure out which holes to drill out and made a flip ring which required the use of a "seal saver" to extend the 321 input shaft to mate with the seal. I ended up with 160 degrees of rotation. I added some features to the shift rod box and bent some bar to form a t cast cradle.

IMG_3270 by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

IMG_3677 by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

IMG_3686 by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

Back