• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Undercarriage Cleaning

Byron1988

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking to get my undercarriage cleaned and coated.

88 xj, very oily and greasy underneath.

Can anyone recommend somebody that does that in the Dallas area.

Thank You,
Byron

If you are in Texas, there is no reason to have the undercarriage coated. A basic steam cleaning should get rid of all the gunk, but in road salt country the gunk is free undercoating.

Tim isnt wrong, but its not a bad thing to do either. Let me put it this way, If I lived in texas.. I would still get mine undercoated. I dont live in that area but I highly recommend that you keep your brush guard or get one if you dont have it. Alot of people take them off and it hurts you in the long run when you need an impact wrench to work on your engine

Oven cleaner? Just spray it on everything and let it sit for a couple minutes and then pressure wash off?

Tim isnt wrong, but its not a bad thing to do either. Let me put it this way, If I lived in texas.. I would still get mine undercoated. I dont live in that area but I highly recommend that you keep your brush guard or get one if you dont have it. Alot of people take them off and it hurts you in the long run when you need an impact wrench to work on your engine

I don't really understand what this has to do with keeping the underside of a Jeep clean? A brush guard will protect his headlights and grill from trees but otherwise?????

Should it be assumed that you are talking about that piece of plastic/rubber that Jeep put between the engine and the steering components?

I don't really understand what this has to do with keeping the underside of a Jeep clean? A brush guard will protect his headlights and grill from trees but otherwise?????

Should it be assumed that you are talking about that piece of plastic/rubber that Jeep put between the engine and the steering components?

I'd think he means either the "rubber skirt"...or maybe the air dam or the front skid.

I don't have any of that stuff on my Jeeps. But then I don't have any rust or oily gunk on them either.

never has in the past (probably used it on 20 cars by now)-- but remember, I do buy the el-cheapo dollar stare stuff. I cannot vouch for the "good stuff."

My favorite method of cleaning is to buy the oven cleaner, spray it on in their parking lot, and drive it to the car wash about 4 miles away. The cleaner has had time to do it's job and the car wash removes it pretty well at that point.

On my 230k miler that is extremely gunked up from multiple leaks prior to my ownership, I tried heavy duty degreaser and own a pressure washer. It barely made a dent, but the old vulnerable rubber vacuum elbows basically fell apart. I've been chasing vacuum and emissions issues ever since. Once I finally get the running issues I created resolved, I'm going to have it steamed so I can address the fluid leaks w/o digging in an inch of gunk for every bolt. Learned my lesson to only use degreaser in spot applications.

If you go to most large truck stops, they will have a company that cleans big rigs. They use not just high power water, but steam with degreaser. If you want, they can even take the undercoating off.

Like that idea Oldman! I looked at renting a steam cleaner to do it myself. I bet they would do it cheaper for them to do it.

If you go to most large truck stops, they will have a company that cleans big rigs. They use not just high power water, but steam with degreaser. If you want, they can even take the undercoating off.

Genius. I live off 80/15 and have three such places within 10 minutes of my house. May be the best idea yet!

The nice thing about it is that they have a pit where they can get to the bottom easily. The last time I had it done they charged me about $75 to take off an inch of caked on grease and oil and they did the motor as well. It looked like new when they got done.

If they do the motor, pull the TPS first.

Back