• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Knock or bang in left front, cant figure it out.

nicpaige

NAXJA Forum User
I have had a pretty loud knock or bang coming from the left front of my 2000XJ while driving. I have a 3.5" lift and 31x10 tires. This happens under hard braking or driving over a pothole in the road.
I have replaced the stabilizer ends with new bushings, new shocks, new coil springs, new brown dog motor mounts.

What items and tests can I do next to try and figure this out. I have jacked it up and pried and shook everything and cant find anything loose. Thanks

To add to the already good suggestions, check the trackbar joints and make sure the retainer clips for the coils are securing the coils down. They strip easily and you just replaced the coils and have a new sound to chase down.

I had a brake caliper bolt fall out that sounded like this lol...brakes worked fine and there was no other sign except the clunk. I know it sounds stupid but take a look. Other than that take a look at the coils and the bump stop can and see if it is getting hung up on there if you have a short arm lift.

My bang from the front left ended up being slightly loose steering box. Only heard it when hitting sharp little bumps/potholes at 20+mph, also on a 3.5" lift and 31s.

My bang from the front left ended up being slightly loose steering box. Only heard it when hitting sharp little bumps/potholes at 20+mph, also on a 3.5" lift and 31s.

Hmmmm that also is very plausible. Did you adjust the backlash on the box or did you mean the box wasn't bolted in securely?

Last edited:
Almost every time I have this noise it turns out to be the track bar bracket where it mounts to the frame. The lower two bolts get loose and its diffucult to get to them to put a lot of torque on them, thus, they get loose again.

A good brace on the bracket, and a steering box brace, fixes both of these issues.

Could also be the single shear track bar mount and TRE. Upgrading to a double shear would fix it if that's the issue. Check the ball and socket on the TRE frame mount. While starting to turn or the weight shifts when it's most apparent. I had the same issue but my TRE fell apart while driving and did some death wobble.

That TRE takes a beating with the bump steer. Worth a check.

Okay I believe I checked all these items other than the tie rod end and I'm not real sure the best way to check it?

Okay I believe I checked all these items other than the tie rod end and I'm not real sure the best way to check it?

Have someone sit in the driver's seat and turn the wheel from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock and back. Lay underneath the front end and feel the joints. That's how I found my loose trackbar mount.

Back