• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power stop brake kits

jeeptec

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ. Looking to make the braking system better. Ive already done the rear disc brake conversion. I was looking online at a power stop brake kit with calipers,rotors and pads. Anyone running that and how is the breaking performance? I found another forum where you use early knuckles,11-15 Durango calipers and GT 500 rotors. But you have to use 17 inch wheels. All tires I've found in a 33 to 35 are all load range E. 16 inch I can still find load range C and D. And tire cost jumping to a 17 is higher too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That kit seems to be just some expertly rebuilt stock calipers with some slotted and drilled rotors and some nice pads. Which will be the max you can get out of the stock setup. You won't see a major improvement. I have ceramic pads and drilled and slotted rotors on the front of mine and the improvement you will see with doing that is you won't get brake fade once the brakes heat up. When I was still running stock rotors I would notice the brake fade once the brakes heated up. Now with drilled and slotted I get the same braking power when they are cold and when they get some heat on them.

If you are looking for a major upgrade that will fit in a 16" wheel, you need to look into the WJ front brake upgrade. You will need to swap out ball joints because the WJ knuckles have bigger ones but they will fit in your Dana 30, the taper of the joints are bigger but the body of the ball joint is the same so they will fit. WJ has a crossover steering so if you want to go that route then you have to relocate the track axle end mount to above the track bar and relocate the sway bar mounts. But if you don't to take advantage of the cross over steering, I am pretty sure you can ream the knuckles and run a one ton chevy TRE setup under the knuckle and not have to move anything.

I have a 2000 XJ. Looking to make the braking system better. Ive already done the rear disc brake conversion. I was looking online at a power stop brake kit with calipers,rotors and pads. Anyone running that and how is the breaking performance?

I have installed the POWER STOP K2119 kit on my 1997 Country and brother's 2000 XJ. They work much better than the stock brakes and seem to last, they give good bang for the buck. Thumbs up.
IMO, to get any better brakes requires upgrading to WJ or Vanco brakes, which is the way to go if running 33"s or bigger.

Powerstop has nothing on Black Magic Brakes.
Crappy website. Awesome brakes.
http://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/

Except maybe price.
For a stock or near stock XJ, the Powerstop pad and rotor kits are a good deal at $136 (Rock Auto) vs. for a set of Black Magic pads at $125, plus rotors.

I run Black Magic pads on the 2001 XJ's Vanco kit. They are the best overall pads I have ever used, effective both hot and cold, but they are expensive.

Back