• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mechanical fan clearance? NEED HELP

jwhitt72

NAXJA Forum User
I have 95 XJ with a 96 4.0. I thought I would upgrade the cooling system when I did the motor. I bought a 3 core aluminum radiator with 2 10" electric fans, new water pump, thermostat and all. Since I have put this in I have had nothing but temp problems. Turns out the two fans I bought are just WEAK. Decided to just go back to stock setup, but have run into a problem. My mechanical fan will no longer fit to get it back onto the studs. Do they make a low profile mechanical fan, or any suggestions. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Agree, with my 5.9 install, I put in a 3 core aluminum and moved the radiator forward. Just redrill new bottom mounting holes (the ones with the rubber inserts) just forward of the existing holes. Then redrill the top mounting holes an inch or two forward. You may have to drill holes or trim the plate that goes on top of the upper holes, but easy to do. There is plenty of room in the grill even with the ac condenser

I also have a trans cooler on the front of the condenser. Did you stay with the stock fan setup?
I'm running a stock fan along with a thick radiator, a big trans cooler, plus a power steering cooler. They all fit fine, once the mounting holes were moved forward.
Do keep the shroud intact and sealed, it contributes a lot to the cooling effort.

BTW, if I ever went back to a mech fan, I'd go with a good flex fan.....will also solve your clearance problem.

Until you go wheeling in low range. With RPM's, the flex fan flattens out, but you aren't moving fast enough to not need it, and you overheat.

Move the radiator forward an inch.

What he said.

If you know a local welder, weld new studs on the bottom to move it forward.

IMG_20140613_072429338_zpslrlmc6tp.jpg

On the top, just drill new holes in the crossmember for the upper mount.

Not the best shot but you can see it here:

IMG_20140614_110402999_zpshscsylgx.jpg

It sounds to me like the OP isn't taking the radiator out to put the old mechanical fan back in. The fan won't go back onto the studs without at least taking off the top radiator support to tilt the radiator forward. If the fan clutch really isn't clearing the radiator I'd move the radiator forward, or look into different clutches. I pulled a JY clutch one time out of an older XJ not knowing that it wouldn't clear the radiator.

Do you guys still have the a/c condenser on as well? Was considering removing that to make more room.
I can actually fit my mechanical fan on if I lean the radiator forward. It seems like my clearance once it's on might still be an issue without moving the radiator forward. What should the clearance be between the fan clutch and radiator?

I can't speak for the others, but no AC condensor here. That said, I have a couple of 1.25" thick coolers up there, so there should be room.

I like to see 3/4" or more clearance between the clutch and radiator.

Back