• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gearing

I assume you have an auto? I would recommend 4.56. 4.10s would be good for the 5 speed, but I was running 4.56s with my 4.0 and AW4 auto with 33s and it was perfect for both.

Thank you for your information, it has an automatic and the rear is an 8.25

This:

Do a side-by-side comparison between the stock setup and with the bigger tires. Your transmission should be the Aisin Warner AW4.

Gear ratio stock is 3.55. Options are 3.73, 4.10, 4.56 and 4.88 at least.

The nominal goal is to get the speed at RPMS (and RPMs at speed) to be sort-of close (unless you're going for a non-street performance level). Round up to the next bigger gear to compensate for extra weight and rolling resistance of the bigger tire.

I have run 4.56s for years, with 33"s.
It's an excellent all-around ratio for both trail and street use.

IIRC, the 4.56 is the lowest (highest numerically) ratio available for the c8.25. So if the OP is not happy with the 4.10, its either the 4.56 or the 4.56.

IIRC, the 4.56 is the lowest (highest numerically) ratio available for the c8.25. So if the OP is not happy with the 4.10, its either the 4.56 or the 4.56.

Nope. I run 4.88's in my 8.25 with no issue. I wouldn't go that deep if I was at sea level but my tired engine needed some help maintaining 65 through all the mountain passes I have around here. If you don't mind running 3k rpm at 80 mph, it's a good gear.

Nope. I run 4.88's in my 8.25 with no issue. I wouldn't go that deep if I was at sea level but my tired engine needed some help maintaining 65 through all the mountain passes I have around here. If you don't mind running 3k rpm at 80 mph, it's a good gear.

Well then, I wish I had 4.88 gears to go with my 33's since I often see mountains and never the beach.

Back