• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 intake swap/pre 97 xj power steering?

PartyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Question on the belt part of this swap.
I have everything else down except belt and pump mod.
I got the bracket and pulley for the swap.
Do I have to get a 97+grand cherokee or xj belt?

I have a 94 sport 4.0 .

What modification do I have to do to the pump?

I have searched but no real clear info on these two
Subjects.

the Pump it-self is slightly diffrent. I belive the Resivor is slightly diffrent. And the 99 pump is a through bolt setup with long bolts. The 94 pump has threads( due to the diffrent brackets). you'd have to drill out the threads.
Now would be a good time to upgrade the pump and replace the hoses. either to a new xj(97+) or a wj.

I'm getting ready to do the same thing to my 94. I've been having intermitent power steering loss. i'll be replacing the pump with a newer one since i have a 99 intake in storage.

as for the belt i belive you use a stock belt provided you move the pull by the comprssor. the newer ones dont use it at that location. that pully is the same as the new tensior pull on the pump bracket.

The pump/mount change happen in 96 actually. The 96 plus intakes have the same pump/mount as the 99's.
My '88 Renix MJ has a '00 ZJ intake with a '96 XJ pump and brackets on a '92 HO head on the original '88 block. Mix 'n Match ... Yeah, I done dat.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Good to know. I used 97 since it is widely know as the change year. 96 is a bit of a bastard child when it comes to parts. One year only parts tranny. Crap shot as to what you might have. ( Old style part or new style, like spline count on 8.25 diffs.

Im currently redoing alot of stuff and am almost done.

Bought a new dummy axel housing as my jeep is a 2wd.
Blasted it and painted it with rustoleum brush on .
New spicer ball joints
New isolators and bumpstops
New rubber bushings everywhere
V8 zj steering
Wj swaybar
Wj control arms upper and lower
Did the wj knuckle swap for the bigger brakes
Wj booster/master cylinder
New yj brake lines
New ome shocks/ome stabilizer
C-rok box brace
Brown dog rubber motor mounts
New steering box
New PS lines
New PS pump
Zj fan clutch
Napa water pump/hoses

Currently redoing freeze plugs to brass/block drain plugs and while I have it apart doing the 99 intake swap.
I really like adjustment for the belt on the new style much easier than the old. Also installing a gibson header while doing this.

Thank you as I was stuck wondering how this goes together.

Last edited:
Ok. I am just now trying to route this damn belt and I do not see how this is gonna work with my 94 sport belt.

Do I need to get a different belt?
97+ belt?

Ok got the belt on.
Electrical component connected
Vacuum hoses on

But now its backfiring and when I step on the gas it dies out with a poof.

Help me out here. Please.

Could it be the TPS . Thats the only thing I can think of

If it helps for future reference ... Belt routing for late model intake/PS pump.

Last edited:
Sorry, had a brain fart there ... Can an administrator delete that pic. Found the correct picture, previous was trying to remember belt routing.

495da6ef5904b64dd1bbc0f1e8160579.jpg

Used a 1000mm belt.

Dayco 5061000, but being an 88 you're needs may vary.
I could have gone without it, but figured why not, I already had it anyway (and it was fairly new).
I did shave the timing mark boss off the timing cover when I did the swap. Could have just clearance it but went for the full removal since it really isn't needed anyway.

Back