• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

In Need of Trail Leaders

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
We are in need of four (04) trail leaders for the Easy/Moderate trails. We've confirmed one already - leaving 3 spaces available.

It is our plan to run 4 staggered departures from the campground each day. These trail leaders will not be responsible for rides on Wednesday, Thursday, or Sunday. Rides happening those days will be deemed unofficial and should be self-organized.

We prefer not to have more than 8 or 9 Jeeps in any single trail ride. While we've asked for interest on the registration form for "Easy" or "Moderate" those terms are fairly vague, and frankly those trails are kind of one in the same in Harlan, so those not running the hard trails will get to experience a little of everything, and most of the obstacles have bypasses if need be.

The trail leaders will:

• determine their own trail routing
  • have a set of FSR radios to use on the trail
  • be responsible for finding a tail gunner
  • be responsible for an on-time departure
  • be comfortable with the rigs that are on your trip (ie: safety equipment, recovery, experience of drivers, etc.)
  • making sure that everyone is back to camp safely
  • be trail leader for both official trail days
This year the BOD will be "purchasing" the 31 day trail pass for those that agree to take on the trail leader positions. Since there is an application that needs to be signed, the trail leader will actually purchase the pass and the BOD will reimburse in kind with cash or raffle tickets.

Jim Busch has agreed to be in charge of all the hard trail rides, so anyone riding hard trails will be able to coordinate with him.

Ed Robbins has agreed to lead one of the Easy/Moderate trips this year. He will also be running an afternoon scouting run on Thursday to the Train Shed, as well as evening runs to the Hawkeye Overlook on Thursday and Friday for the sunset...assuming the weather cooperates this year.

Once it is determined who our additional 3 easy/moderate trail leaders will be I will be opening up a thread to sign up for departure times.

Thank you all for your consideration in leading trails.

Last edited:
So, 56 views and no volunteers? Just need three willing to step up.

I mentioned a possible interest on the other thread about this...

I feel like it is a responsibility to not be taken lightly, when you are responsible for others & a time frame per say... A little more time & I may have a more solid answer.

Alright... You can put me down as a trail leader :party:

...I had planned to go with Ed Saturday on "Aaron's ride" and also mentioned being his tail gunner for that (& also the sunset rides) I would think this may end up being a larger group, so having an additional leader/tail gunner might be beneficial?

As long as I can make that ride, I will be glad to Lead & assist where needed.

Thanks Dan. Ed is actually only doing the train shed on Thursday and Friday.

The sunset rides are just "special events" Ed's agreed to do. You could ride the shed on Friday and then still lead moderate runs Friday and Saturday.

If there are a ton of people wanting to do the train shed run, I can run that the whole weekend, we will just get there by going different routes each day.

We still have help needed for the moderate/easy runs. We will run 4 groups. If we don't get enough dedicated trail leaders we may have runs that need to be self-regulated.
I'll be posting trail sign ups on Saturday.

Back