• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tube doors

batavus

NAXJA Forum User
I took my doors off a while back, then decided that I'd like something to hang my arm on, so I put my latest tool (bender) to more work and put these together:

http://www.tildesoftware.com/philip/pics/fabrication/tube_doors/

Opinions?

schpim0097.jpg

Looks good!!! Would you be willing to make a 4 door set?:D

are the easy on easy off or just on? cuz i have been thinking of pulling my doors. but since its also my DD i need the full doors when not wheelin.

fatwreck said:
Yeah, they use the factory latch and hinges....pretty slick.

He helped me build a set and I'm psyched. I just got my mirrors figured out....then I'll paint them....then I'll post pics....then you guys can see them in Moab. :D
http://www.projectxj.com/mods/tube.doors.htm

Dude - you're going to Moad for the XJ thing? Damn - wish I could make it... don't have the time off to spend.

Sure - for those interested, I'd make you a set. I'll have to do some digging to see if the dimensions for a 2 door are different (pretty sure they are). As well, I'd make some rear ones too for 4 door rigs.

I just re-signed up to the NAXJA forums (havn't been here in QUITE some time), so I'm waiting on that e-mail confirmation thingie for signing up. If enough of my profile is working for you, try sending me e-mail back channel and we'll see what we can bring together. - or just go to fatwreck's site, both our contact e-mails are linked there.

NOTE: I'm heading out on a mini-in-state-vacation this weekend. So If I don't respond promptly to your e-mails, don't fret, I'm not ignoring you, just not home! :D

cherokeekid95 said:
are the easy on easy off or just on? cuz i have been thinking of pulling my doors. but since its also my DD i need the full doors when not wheelin.

Relatively easy on/off. They're bolted on using two 1/4" by 3" long grade 8 bolts with nylon lock nuts. So all it takes is about 5 minutes to unbolt them.

Taking your stock door on/off is the kicker. Fatwreck has his set up nicely, where it still has most of the original hinge pin in his door, so all he has to do is disconnect his wiring harnesses (the hard part), then lift up on the door. You might try getting hold of him to get more details on how he accomplished this.

I haven't attempted to put my stock doors back on. I'm hoping to replace them with ones with a manual crank so I don't have to worry about those pain in the butt wiring harness plugs. Plus - the manual crank doors are a bit lighter than ones with power windows/locks. Not much, but a little...

Those tube doors look sharp! I have an extra set of doors and I'm going to modify them to look like the wrangler half doors. Trying to find some free time though! I'll post pics when they're done. You could turn those tube doors into a money making buisness, you already have a bunch of orders just from this forum!

the wiring harness should not be a prob for me cuz i don't have power anything. the only wiring that i can think of that is run is to the speaker. thanks for the info. I just might go this route in the near future.:cool:

cherokeekid95 said:
the wiring harness should not be a prob for me cuz i don't have power anything. the only wiring that i can think of that is run is to the speaker. thanks for the info. I just might go this route in the near future.:cool:

Here's my writeup on how I made the doors easily removable:
http://www.projectxj.com/mods/doorless.htm

I was thinking of doing something similar with the tube doors, but I haven't decided yet.

I should have mine all painted with mirrors mounted by monday. I'll post pics when I get them finished.

Speed_racer said:
I WANT SOME FOR A 2dr!! YOU KNOW YA WANNA MAKE SOME $!!!!

Put me on the list for 2 door. :party:

The speaker can be fixed, I wanted some extra sound in front and put some 4" speakers in the kick panles! Fit perfectly :D

bender

Hey Batavus, what brand of bender did you buy? I'll be getting one soon but I don't know which one to buy. I've checked out the one at "protools.com" and another one on the "Tube Shark" site. What's your view on these things?
Oh ya, personal use, not production.

Re: bender

forgiven said:
Hey Batavus, what brand of bender did you buy? I'll be getting one soon but I don't know which one to buy. I've checked out the one at "protools.com" and another one on the "Tube Shark" site. What's your view on these things?
Oh ya, personal use, not production.

It's a JD2 model 3 that I bought from Medford Tools

http://www.medfordtools.com/mb3.html
http://www.jd2.com/

I haven't seen other brands, but this one got good reviews from home shop people on lists in Colorado and on www.pirate4x4.org

I like it because it is really simple, and rather compact. I made a stand for it that bolts to the floor so I can remove it and store it in a corner to free up the floor space again.

My e-mail is on my profile, and also in Fatwreck's writeup. Send me e-mail if you want me to make you a set.

NOTE: The passenger side door we made for fatwreck was set and spot welded on my XJ. It turns out that it was around 1/16" off between my 92 Cherokee and Fatwreck's 94. A little dremel trimming cured his issue. But - this makes me think that I should look into bolting the hinges (with recessed allen head bolts for clearance issues), which would give a bit of adjustability to it.

xxxj-va said:
How does the latch work? Pics?

It's a latch off a stock XJ door (junk yard pull). Some slight modifications are made to it as there are a butt load of levers on it that aren't needed in this application. Then, the lever that releases the latch is modified slightly to give ease of moving it. All it takes is one finger to push up on that lever to disengage the latch, then a slight push against the tube door and it opens - very easy and smooth.

This is the only picture I have at the moment that shows the latch. It doesn't show the inside edge where that modified lever sits.

schpim0100.jpg

Back