• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket front brakes. What are you using

poomero

NAXJA Forum User
1999 xj 4.o 4x4

I need to replace the calipers on the front because the passanger side is starting to stick and pull right when I stop. I would like to get a better performance set up but cant really find anything online. What are you guys rinning? I will be doing calipers, pads, and rotors all new.

Do your research and make me a fair offer. Could USPS priority flat rate for probably 27-32 dollars, so take that into account. These worked awesome, only changed because I upgraded to grand cherokee knuckles with crossover steering.

Stock calipers, EBC pads and rotors - I went with their "Stage 3 Truck" kit - green pads, slotted rotors. Huge improvement over stock, less brake dust as well.

I didn't say they made no dust. I said less dust. As compared to whatever parts store pads were on before. The material of the pads will also dictate the color and tendency of the particulate to stick to wheels and show up.

Also, I understand the brand loyalty and I'm sure from all the comments that black magic pads are great. EBC pads are also great. I run them in my autocross SVO Mustang (yellow stuff) and my Jeep (greenstuff). It's worth noting that the yellow pads require a bit more heat to grab than the green.

All this said, with EBC green pads and stock calipers traction is definitely the limiting factor for braking (my Jeep is on 31" Duratracs, I can't speak for those with more rotating mass).

That wasn't aimed at you persay, just a general statement since it came up.

The black magic pads would probably add 15-25% braking over the EBC's, and they have much better cold braking than EBC does.

am i missing something about black magic?

black magic appears to just use the centric brake parts and pricing them significantly higher than rock auto.

am i missing something about black magic?

black magic appears to just use the centric brake parts and pricing them significantly higher than rock auto.

They manufacture their own pads, which are incredibly high quality.

They package them with Centric rotors and calipers.

It's all good. I'd be very interested to see the comparison showing the increase in braking over EBCs. All the comparisons I've seen show yellow-stuff pads.

As you've noted (and I mentioned) the yellow pads require a bit of warm up before hitting their peak. Obviously this is not ideal for a street-driven vehicle.

The green-stuff pads are designed to operate at lower temperatures - they're a street pad, not a track pad. They also have a pretty great pedal feel, though this isn't exactly important for most in a non-race scenario.

Again, with the number of people speaking up about Black Magic pads - I have to believe they're awesome. My experience with the EBC green pads has also been awesome.

*Edit* And most importantly - whichever you use, follow the proper break-in process!

Last edited:
Black Magic for me ... on a WJ swap.

*Edit* And most importantly - whichever you use, follow the proper break-in process!

This is the biggest truth posted in this thread!

Every manufacturer lists their own break-in procedure, and it makes a HUGE difference.

Many specify to install only with new rotors, and they really mean it.

I have run a Vanco brake setup for ten years (15' w/ 48-mm calipers) only 2001 XJ
They came with Centric Premium rotors and EBC Yellows, one of the best pads I have every used...when hot, on cold mornings they sucked.

When they wore out, I called Blaine at Black Magic (Savvy) and he had just starting selling the BM pads for the 48-mm twin-piston calipers.
Wow! what a difference with the BM pads, they grab well hot or cold. I'm on the second set of BMs, after getting around 45,000 miles out of the first set.
Not the longest lasting pads but the best overall IMO. Interestingly, the rotors are still in good condition and working fine with the new pads
Love the Black Magic pads. They have the power to stop a heavy Jeep.
As pointed out, do the proper break in and don't baby these pads, they will glaze over is you do not use them hard frequently. If this happened, bed then again.

For less money, another good choice is the POWER STOP K2152 kit, available from Rock Auto for $134. Installed this kit on my brother's 2000 and my near stock 1997 Country.
They work great on the lighter Jeeps.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3796950&cc=1363384&jsn=405

Last edited:
The BM calipers are nothing special - he just sells them for convenience (though he does use a high-quality supplier). Prices reflect typical AutoZone, etc prices.

He told me to get the rotors from Amazon because they are cheaper. I bought them from him though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back