• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to do? Build, refresh, fun?

SouthSeaPirate

NAXJA Forum User
So my 01 XJ lost Cyl#2 and Im trying to decide what to do.

I have a 95 that doesnt run all that well with an unknown history; tbf I havent dug into it yet.
I also have another unknown engine that I know absolutely nothing about. But do know it should be 91 to 95 due to the head casting.

Now my original thought was to freshen up the 95 assuming it's running good before I pull it. Say maybe a gasket overhaul and timing chain, etc.

Always wanted more power and figured If Im that far into it, with an unknown engine I might add, might as well jump on the stroker bandwagon.

Decided to put together a true costs spreadsheet and finally came up on researching the price on the crank; pretty much dead last. After which I discovered the cranks are not easy to find and cost has skyrocketed.
Once putting the crank into the cost calc it seems no longer practical to buy piece by piece. That said, should I go with kit or should I go with another option?
I don't know much, or really anything about the machining process, but figure that the cost is just as much for a stroker as it is prepping for a rebuild.

Options are;
1. Get the 95 engine running good and do a refresh. Risk unknown engine and miss an opportunity. Est $150
2. Get the 95 and do a basic rebuild (not bottom end) without machining. Risk failure due to skipping machining process, also missed opportunity. Est $350
3. Pull the 01, full machine and rebuild. Expensive. Est $2500
4. Use 95, full machine, rebuild to stock spec (exc pistons and rods) and then turbo. Not as reliable as stroker. Est $2000???
5. Use 95, full machine, rebuild to stock spec. Reliable, no fun. Est $1000

I want practical, reliable, daily. Ill hardly ever do any extreme offroad, but will build it to do very decent. Say 3" lift, with LSD rear and locker front with max 31 (now have 29.5 that are brand new). Basically Im asking for too much as I want best of both worlds; lets just say I drive far and fast and I want it to due decent trail. So, with that book written; pros, cons, input, thoughts, options, fk it walk?

4.2 cranks aren't that hard to find, usually under $200 for a complete 4.2 plus some machine shop costs to be ready. Or buy a new Scat crank for a little over $400

do a compression test on the 95 motor, if its good swap it

Yeah really need to get out there and check it before even bothering all that much; injector swapping, fuel, etc.

4.2 cranks aren't that hard to find, usually under $200 for a complete 4.2 plus some machine shop costs to be ready. Or buy a new Scat crank for a little over $400

Where on earth are you finding these?

Here's the compression test results on the '95 XJ
Without plugs
1 110
2 100
3 115
4 120
5 100
6 105
With plugs
1 105
2 100
3 110
4 115
5 110
6 100
Keep in mind the brand new test kit hose barely grabbed a thread or two; smh.

Got it running again. Reved it up and now I have a patch of dead grass.
Got some blowby somewhere lol.
Also, I cant keep it running consistently. Drove it down the road and would die once I get back to the house. Few minutes later it would run again (and not well).
It also has a lot of tapping AFTER the engine is shut off. I suppose I might have to get a recording of this.
Im thinking I may have to do a poor man's/shade tree mechanic rebuild cause I still havent found a machine shop anywhere near me.

Back