• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Safe to cut and fold front and/or rear fender seams?

91Heep

NAXJA Forum User
Starting to get my little novice backwoods rig headed in the direction that i wanted it.

Wanting to know it anyone ever cut and folds the rear fender seam for more clearance.

There's also a similar seam in the front fender well that I've seen cut and folded on other folks rigs..... although that doesn't make it safe.

So insight and opinions of the procedure is appreciated.
My plan would be to cut, apply rust inhibitor to the cut areas.
Run a couple beads of 3m seam sealer then fold it over.
Maybe even rivet each flap to the inner fender.

Then something similar upfront.

The search button is your friend. It has been done numerous times.

The search button is your friend. It has been done numerous times.
Being an avid forum user I am aware of this.
There are sooooo many posts about quater panel cut and folds that they push most everything else back when searching for anything to do with cut n fold on an xj.

Or perhaps it's one of the rare cases where I just didn't figure out the correct key words...

i did mine over the weekend. put a notch about halfway up from teh bottom and another at the top of the bend and hammered it over. took a few minutes per side.

did the rear as well. cut up to the body line between the spot welds and then hammered it up. sprayed it good with some thick spray paint.

Back