• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator wire up

Mojojojoee

NAXJA Forum User
Can anyone tell me how to wire in an alternator 96 4.0. I put it into an 87 body with no harness aylt all. Everything runs great just cant get a charge on the battery. I have a big black wire i attached to the engine. Tow green wires one a little bigger than the other. And the lug wire that i attached to the battery. Any suggestions?

Soooo... you put a 96 engine into an 87 chassis correct? The renix chassis has a single wire internally regulated alternator. The 96 regulator is controlled by the ECM. You have to either wire in an external regulator on the 96 alternator or use the renix one with the stock wiring on the 96 block. Does that help?

Ok so from the begining. I put a 96 engine in an 87 chasis. I have an alternator i purchases from an auto salvage of a dodge truck. This is as far as i got with wiring and i am not getting a charge. I have a pic save to my phone but i cant download it

There's several write ups on here about adding an external regulator to the later model alternators in the renix trucks. Do a search and they should come up. The Transpo C8313 has been used by folks to get the new alt charging. Good luck.

Back