• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to adjust incline on a swapped WJ seat

Caner.

NAXJA Forum User
i swapped a WJ power seat in my XJ and while everything is fine the way it was when I got it out, eventually I'd like to be able to adjust the incline of the seat.

i checked the wiring diagram and was wondering if it would work by applying power with a simple switch to the motor (the one with 3 wires) or if I also need to do something about the "switch senses" (which I'm not familiar with) that are in another connector.

I made the following picture to illustrate my question/problem. i would use a small 12v alarm battery to apply power, I don't want to wire it in the fuse box. any help appreciated!

80-xkp4qtn_ec300e95dda2bbec42ecba20c1de03b572cc8c7f.png

My WJ seats had a separate power feed for the recline motor. I simply jumped that into the +12VDC feed to seats and it works fine. The annoying part was having to have a semi-powered passenger seat because, so far, I haven't found a 1995-2001 XJ power seat base.

so in theory, if I get an on-off-on switch and wire it with the wires from the motor and my 12v power source, it should be working without having to mess with anything else? what is the 3rd wire for, ground?

i was tempted to test it instead of asking but I'd hate to cut the wires and then realize I made a mistake.

thanks for the help

so in theory, if I get an on-off-on switch and wire it with the wires from the motor and my 12v power source, it should be working without having to mess with anything else? what is the 3rd wire for, ground?

i was tempted to test it instead of asking but I'd hate to cut the wires and then realize I made a mistake.

thanks for the help

Are you not using the WJ control panel on the side of the seat? That has a dedicated switch to control movement.

I guess you could use a double pile double throw on off on switch if you can find one, since the polarity needs to reverse to change directions. Unless the motor has its own separate ground, then single pole would work, but I don't see that in the diagram. If you have the seat module you could simply supply power and ground to that and get all the functions of the seat. The seat senses are basically commands by you that the module interprets and then activates corresponding drivers for output.

i'm not very knowledgeable about all this, so pardon my ignorance if I say stuff that make no sense.

i'm pretty sure the three wires you see in my first pic go into a larger harness, which has a connector that plugs into the control panel. what I was thinking was cutting those 3 wires to be able to directly put a switch on it to save trouble (which I now learn will probably be harder this way)

I do have the control panel but it doesn't fit between the b pillar and the seat, so I kept it aside for now. if I go ahead and try to use it, I have a hard time figuring out where to apply power. i cut the harness where it merges into the floor when I got the seat out. I'm left with 3 connectors, one which goes into the incline motor (3 wires), a green one and a white one, both I'm assuming plug into the control panel, or one into the panel and one on the old rails with a forward/backward motor. (i'm at work, I'll check at home later and confirm this)

here's the one that is not in my first picture. the cut is where it started going into the floor.

xDJ11Sr.jpg

Last edited:
If the wiring diagram is correct, the 3 wires you reference are not correct. You'd be looking for a gray wire with light blue trace and a gray wire with white trace. Your diagram may be incomplete, as I see no grounds or anything.

I wired them up on my last xj, only needed power and ground.

Back