• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air filter recommendation

nateofmt1

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 86 XJ w/ the 3.4L conversion I put in a few years back. It sports the Holley 4160 carb and Edelbrock intake 3789/3785.

It has a round air cleaner assembly with a 14x3 inch filter. Previously I used a K&N and also a paper filter. It's 90% off highway use.

In order to fit the filter in I had to chop the hood and installed a Mustang hood scoop with the opening facing the windshield. The air cleaner housing just rubs it slightly, so there is no room to go higher.

So now with that info, what is a good filter recommendation for it? I didn't like the K&N as I had to wait for it to dry. Of course paper ones aren't necessarily that good.

I looked at the R2C ones, but the shortest one is 4", so won't work. The best type would be a dry one that can be blown out easily.

Any suggestions?

K&n do not filter that well. The stock air box went back on mine with a wix filter. The paper filters are that good cause they actually do they're Job

Paper does work well. They only other ones I'd recommend are something like the aem dry flow filters or amsoil has their own line of filters, tho I'm not sure if they make something like you need.

WIX filters are good for disposables. From what I've found, AMSOIL Ea filters are probably the best permanent filters, since they are dry (just shake them out), and they have filters that fit my applications. AEM are also supposed to be good dry permanent filters, but they didn't have anything to fit my applications the last time I looked.

In most cases, oem is best. We have a Volvo and I've owned volvos for a long time.. Their paper filters are apparently designed to be 150% efficient, so that when they're dirty, they're still flowing 100%. I wouldn't be surprised if most weren't designed that way.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

Back