• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Home made driveshaft

2xtreme

NAXJA Forum User
I am going up to 6" of lift in the near future and will need to lengthen my stock driveshaft in the process. I was just going to take it down and have it done, but I was thinking maybe I could do it myself. I just need to extend it a few inches. Does anyone have any experience with this? is it just a matter of cutting and welding back together?

I thought I would cut the shaft (close to the transfer case end) and weld in a new section of tube there. Can I do it this way or do I need a whole new tube?

Thanks for any info or experience,

Michael

you could do that but the shaft still has to be balanced. If not your going to have some vibes, big time. Juice

I have the YJ style slip yoke and it works great.

how much longer is a MT drive shaft? Any particular ones I need to look for? Does it matter which rear axle or MT??

Thanks for the help,
Michael

If you're going to do the cutting/welding yourself, do the whole tube. Why cut & weaken the shaft to save yourself 10 mins welding time?

Once you weld it, you can take it to a local driveshaft shop & have it balanced for about $25-50.

Back