• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

UpCountry Bump Stops

bjoehandley

NAXJA Forum User
I accidentally bought UpCountry stops for the back of my Non-UpCountry XJ and lost suspension travel plus it killed the ride and handling, to the point I have to run 70+psi in the airshocks to keep it off the stops. Instead of buying new, stock height ones, can I just cut these down with an X-Acto saw or something? I'm really sick of it hitting, and it's been over a year since I drove it last!

Unfortunately you will have to lift your jeep :/

After that, you may notice steering issues, like death wobble. So you will need to invest in a new steering system.

Because of the extra height from the lift (so you can keep the taller bumps), you will need larger tires.

Because of the larger tires, you will need to re gear the axles. Might as well put Alloy axles and a locker will in there.

Because of the added height, and for safety reasons, you should invest in full under body armor.

Turns out the new larger spare tire wont fit in the factory location, so now, you will have to buy a roof rack, to hold the spare tire. But, in a few weeks you will realize its a bitch to get that tire up there. So, you buy a rear bumper with a spare tire mount. Looks good and all. But the front looks lame, when compared to the back. So, now you buy a winch type bumper, heavy duty item. However, it has no winch. So, now you got to buy a winch. And that roof rack, you bought earlier, its empty now. So, now you got to buy some items to make that look good, maybe some gas cans and jack.

Because of the added noise from the tires, you need to upgrade your sound system. New head unit, door speakers, Sub box and an Amp. Should be able to hear it now...

It's summer now... And due to the larger tires, your running a bit hot. So, now you have to buy a new high flow pump. Then a HD radiator. Might as well upgrade the cooling for the transmission too, at this point.... Humm, what is the temperatures anyway. Now you got to install aftermarket gauges, to monitor your temps...

So now, you are about ~$12,000 in, JUST so you can run those bump stops. CRAZY how the jeep bug works. But it GETS worse....

Cause now, you meet this guy at the gas station, and he invites you to a trail ride. After that ride, you realize you need bigger tires. You get some 35"s... DAMN, they dont fit! So, now you need to lift it more. And you will want a beefier steering, again. Because of the larger tires, you will need to get lower gears. At this point, your informed the Dana 35 rear you have is kind of lacking. So, you "invest" (a term used to make you or female counterpart feel good) in a Dana 44. That 44 means new gears, new locker, new shafts. And heck, might as well go all out and put an ARB in that sucker. That way, you also get air for your tires.

Its about at this point you realize you need a bit more power. So, a stroker motor you invest in. (Again, you use the word "INVEST"). Good news is you can reuse that high flow water pump you got earlier.

At this point, I'd say your are darn near ~$20,000. $20,000 to keep those bump stops. Seems kinda crazy at this point. But, at this point, you are getting close to having one of the top jeeps. Why stop? \

I could keep going, but I'll make it short. You basically have to buy a new car. Because you done cut up you jeep and made it into some kind of buggy. So, at this point you are about ~$50 to $60,000 in. But, it actually gets worse... Turns out, now that your jeep is NOT DOT legal, you need to trailer it. Sooo, you have to buy a truck and a trailer. My conservative guess at this point, maybe ~$80 to $120,000 depending on the rig you go with...

So, now you need to condenser, ditching the ~$20 up lander stops, or spending up to $120,000 to keep em.. Those bump stops could be the most expensive item you buy in the next 10yrs of your life. Please put some thought into it....

Return or sell what you have, and buy the correct bump stops ?

Lol DaKing, with all that, I need to get the rust fixed first!

Tim, unfortunately, they've been on it for a few years and IIRC, that dealership had a no returns on special orders policy anyway. I was hoping to trim them down instead of buying new (the fugging things were over $100 and the right ones were even more expensive!), although I may have to look on line at aftermarket if not, can't order any locally.

Classic DaK. I cut down stock ones for my sua street jeep, so don't see why you couldn't do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cut 'em down, either it works, or you will need new ones. Stock are 2.9" tall and UpCountry are 4.1" tall.

The stock one's metal is below the first inch on the frame side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back