• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heim joints and the noise

mtbxj87

NAXJA Forum User
Kinda sounds like a 80s band name.
Hi all,
I installed upper and lower control arms in my 89.
Bds fixed length uppers and ruffstuff single flex adjustable lowers. Both short Arms, I am around 2.5" lift with 31" k02
The bds have a large rubber end, I also pressed in new axle side bushings.
The ruff stuff have a massive heim and a poly bushing, recipe for noise.
Which is no big deal cause the old factory stuff was clapped out.
In stalled ,set pinion, aligned, drives nice and feels tight.
Except I have a rotational noise now that starts at a low speed. Like a axle u joint or wheel bearing. It was not there hours before I installed the arms. I removed the front ds, still had noise. The noise only changes with speed, not throttle or steering, same noise in 4hi4lo. I went to replace the of wheel bearing last night, which I ended up having the wrong part, but when I had the old bearing off it felt fine. Which doesn't mean it not making noise, just expected the worst. The rf bearing felt ok too. The front diff fluid looks fine and pinion turns smooth.
Am I hearing/feeling road and tire rotation through the control arms?
It's been a while since I've been in a rig with heim ends.
Any experiences with heim ends on control arms?

I have only good things to say about ruffstuff and the bds arms. Both quality. Yes theyre lubed plenty and I did tap a grease fitting into the ruffstuff poly bushings. Ill have the new bearing today, Ill see if it helps or changes it.

Does it change when turning left or right? That usually indicates a bad wheel bearing. Can try rotating the tires too. You could also have a bad diff bearing with no metal in the diff.

i find it odd that installing control arms would bring a rotational noise to the table, whether it be the cause for the noise or making it more noticeable. but... crazier things have happened. would be a good stroke of business to check and weed out basic mechanical problems with the axle first.

but if it really is the arms...
- which end is the heim at? i dont know how ruffstuff designed it but i would want the bushing at the frame.
- a softer durometer bushing might help you out.
-worste case scenario... i believe ruff stuff uses a 1.25 heim, which should share the same shank and the enduro joint from barnes. should help to eliminate some road noise.

I changed the front diff fluid cause I inspected the gears, bearings, and cap torque. the fluid looked fine. The heim is at the axle side. The noise doesn't change when turning, except speed. Its a slow speed thud noise, so it being pinion doesn't add up, seems to just stay the speed of the wheel. U joints are only a few months old, new spicers. Doesn't change with throttle in 4wd, Just vehicle speed. Im going to replace the LF wheel bearing tonight and report back.

New LF bearing. No change. Swapped the rf out with the old LF. No change. F*it I can't hear the noise out side the jeep so it can't be that bad lol

Could be I suppose. I swapped them left to right only. I guess I could rotate and balance next time I have it in the air.

I think I figured out my noise. Not that ive been tracking it down. It hasn't changed a bit. I swapped in a full length right axle shaft to delete the CAD a few months ago. I left the bearing and the seal in the tube for the intermediate shaft.. I should pull the bearing out before it comes apart in pieces.

Today I confirmed this. The old bearing was riding in the new axle. I popped that thing out and it's all quiet again!

Back