• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Exchange Help?

Byron1988

NAXJA Forum User
This has probably been discusssed before, but I could not find it.

I have a 1988 Cherokee, 4WD, 5 speed manual, Peugot. Which is broke.

I have found a 1992 Cherokee with what I think is a AX15.
If it is an AX15, will it fit in my jeep?

The guy at the junkyard says no, but I am not sure they know what they are talking about.

Thank You,
Byron

This has probably been discusssed before, but I could not find it.

I have a 1988 Cherokee, 4WD, 5 speed manual, Peugot. Which is broke.

I have found a 1992 Cherokee with what I think is a AX15.

If it is an AX15, will it fit in my jeep?

The guy at the junkyard says no, but I am not sure they know what they are talking about.

Thank You,

Byron

What motor?

But yes you can put a ax-15 in a 4cy or 2.8 v6 with proper adapter or bell housing, ax-15 was meant for the 4.0 so bell housing and other parts are easy to come by.
Other trick is the transfer case and getting the right number of splines

Yep, the transfer case shaft spline count match up is the real issue.

It changed over that time span. Also needs to be off a 92 4wd or you need to change the output shaft length or something to match the transfer case?

But they might sell him the transfer case and transmission as one piece?

Btw when a JY looks it up on the computer they ask probably what casing you have or depending on the year there may only be one choice. All they know from the computer is direct or near direct fit.

Without being jeep enthusiast they have no way of knowing.

You'll probably need the older ax-15 the early XJ had with smaller input shaft , really depends on your motor

Ps is you have a 4cy you can swap in the ax-5 not as heavy duty as ax-15 but fine for 4cy. Some early production 4cyl and 2.8 v6 came with either the Asian ax-5 or French Bicycle manufacturers transmission

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Oh shoot, I just looked again and the 92 is not 4WD.
These AX15 are hard to find.

Car-part.com and Hollander part search can help find any in you area or even shipped to you.

eBay is a good place to search too.

You probably need a 89-91 transmission because the input shaft is the smaller diameter but I'm not entirely sure, I don't know if the 88 4.0 can work with the bigger input 92 or so up

I don't know if the 88 4.0 can work with the bigger input 92 or so up

As far as the 4.0 goes there should be no problem, even the flywheel should be the same except for the CPS signal teeth which changed in 91, so he needs to keep the Renix PP.

Many have swapped 4.0 blocks across the 90-91 bridge. The Clutch pressure plate from a 92+ should mount on a Renix flywheel
I would think? If not use a Renix PP and a later model clutch?

Back