• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15 Hack n Tap Question

OwenSweet96

NAXJA Forum User
Okay so I am new to the Forum and don't know if this is the right place for this question but I figured I'd ask anyway. I had a 4.0 auto xj with an aw4 and had np 231 and had no problem running a hack n tap with a stock front driveshaft. Needless to say I was rear ended and the jeep was totaled. I kept the jeep and swapped my lift and everything all over into my new jeep a 1997 4.0 with an Ax15 but I've yet to do the hack n tap because of the shorter Ax15. I know that I can go with a longer shaft out of a early v8 grand cherokee. However I am a college student and saving $50 goes a long way for me.
My question is would putting the hack n tap farther back on the output shaft of my t case (saving an inch or so allowing me to run normal auto front shaft) put too much pressure on the bearings in the t case and ruin my driveline or do you think i could get away with it for a year or so until I have the money to do it right?

An automatic front should work or have a tj front shortened and just run the hack n tap the way it's supposed to or get an actual sye and custom shaft

most opt to make the output as short as possible, giving them the longest shaft possible, which helps with driveline angles. the 231 on your 97 should have a sealed output, so you can leave it a little long if you like.

i have a hack and tap on mine... 4.0/AX15/231... i made it as short as possible and still used the front shaft from an auto cherokee before i swapped out to big axles.

most opt to make the output as short as possible, giving them the longest shaft possible, which helps with driveline angles. the 231 on your 97 should have a sealed output, so you can leave it a little long if you like.

i have a hack and tap on mine... 4.0/AX15/231... i made it as short as possible and still used the front shaft from an auto cherokee before i swapped out to big axles.

Thats the answer I was looking for. So you'd didn't have any issues with the auto shaft?

Back