• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Busted Seat Bolt

seanof30306@yahoo.

NAXJA Forum User
So, I was unbolting my driver's seat. The left front mounting bolt resisted all of my efforts, and committed seppuku rather than submit.

I've sprayed what is left of the bolt with Liquid Wrench every couple of hours.

My plan is to use an easy-out.

Is there a better way?

Same thing here on my '00. I just drilled it out carefully. Threads were fine so I was able to use a seat bolt that I salvaged from the boneyard. You do not say what year but the seat bolts off of a Grand Cherokee works too. ZJ body style. '93 to '98.

Last edited:
I would notch the bolt with a punch dead center and drill it slowly with a small bit, and then step it up, until the bolt is very thin.. And then use a pick and a small hammer or something and the to break the bolt by hitting it on the side and see if you can get the pieces out. If that doesn't work, make new threads

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

No just drill. Start with a small bit in dead center of the broken seat bolt. Increase the size of the bit you use to drill incrementally. You will get to a point where the broken bolt is hollowed out pretty good and you can literally fold the bolt in on itself with a crappy screwdriver and get it out.

No just drill. Start with a small bit in dead center of the broken seat bolt. Increase the size of the bit you use to drill incrementally. You will get to a point where the broken bolt is hollowed out pretty good and you can literally fold the bolt in on itself with a crappy screwdriver and get it out.

OK, clearly I'm doing something wrong.

Carefully snap-punched the exact center of the broken-off bolt.

Took small bit, lubed often with WD40, and in 30 minutes, made virtually no progress.

Went to Lowes and bought a set of Cobalt bits. http://www.lowes.com/pd_689767-70-D...13714&pl=1&Ntt=cobalt+drill+bits#BVRRWidgetID

Took small bit, ran the battery all the way down, virtually no progress.

What am I doing wrong?

Honestly, for a good 5 minutes, I pushed till the bit bowed, and held it there.

The first bit I tried was old, and I'm sure it was dull.

It was the same story with the brand new Cobalt bit, too.

Battery's recharged, but we've kinda got tornadoes right now. I'll give it another shot tomorrow.

I don't know what tools you have access to but at this point I would use my dremel to cut a hole into it to start the bit. If you have a good enough imprint from the punch you can try tilting the bit sideways to get it to start cutting if you don't have a dremel.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

Yeah, if you spent a few minutes trying to drill a hole with a dull bit, it's possible you work hardened the bolt. Step up to a cobalt drill, sized so it won't flex, get on top of the drill motor with as much weight as you feel comfortable with and drill at a very low speed. maybe 200 RPM at the most.

Use WD40 on your squeaky screen doors. Either get some cutting fluid, or if you have any, motor oil will work in a pinch.

If that doesn't work about the only thing left is either a carbide drill bit (NOT a masonry bit), or welding a nut to the broken bolt.

I had a hard time cutting through the broken bolts for my transmission cross member and bought some metal specific Dewalt bit and it cut right through

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

Back