• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator help

jeeptec

NAXJA Forum User
What's a decent radiator. Mine split. 4.0 a/c with tow package. Last radiator I bought was from radiator barn there no longer in business. Too many mixed reviews on the stuff Amazon sells

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm running parts store "stock replacement" rad's in both my heeps. Zero issues.
Some say that the Mopar rads for the late model are better than the parts store ones.

Seems like 50/50 reviews on the CSF rad's. Chris owes me one, but I've yet to see it.

I have used this as a replacement in two of my xj's and have been very happy with the price and quality:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-382012/overview/year/1999/make/jeep/model/cherokee

Ran this one for about two years, then started leaking on one of the tubes. Kept it at steady temps, but I replaced it with an Oreily OEM style and it actually keeps it cooler. Had the brass one repaired as a back up.

The two friends that have installed a CSF radiator have had issues within 3 years, so I shy away from them.

I have a TYC I got from rockauto for 60 bucks. Had it 3 years and had no issues. Would love a nice full aluminum but those are $$$$.

Best radiator, IMO, from both a cooling and durability standpoint, is Mopar's own HD Cherokee radiator.
PN 52080104AC
1-1/2" thick, dual core.
I have been running them, in several XJs, for many years, without any problems

Stock. That's your best bet, did it out here in the desert( Palm Springs CA ) an now he can drive his year round. Heavy duty rad from the dealer, but as most have said a parts store heavy duty is just fine and cheaper one would think.

HTH

I made the mistake of being in a hurry last night. I picked up a radiator from Napa. I remember them having good quality parts. Wrong. I open the NAPA box and its a Spectra same one the cheap auto parts stores sell. Single core 1 inch thick. It's the heavy duty one. It's going back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I replaced my OEM original on my 97 back in 2005 with a CSF 3 row and it was great for 7 years before I discovered a small leak after I had been up under the Jeep doing some work. Never left a drop on the ground though nor did I have issues but I replaced it with a garbage Champion all aluminum unit. They were made cheap and the quality was awful. The trans lines don't work with the factory lines and the filler neck barely clears the upper support and is so tight you almost can't get the cap on and off. I went through 5 of them under warranty before they said they would just give me my money back and wouldn't give me another one. I then stupidly bought 3 more generic chinese all aluminum ones off ebay and they were identical to the Champion and they all went back and leaked severely in just a few months time. So that was a total of 8 radiators in 4 years. Now I have another CSF and with it now still my temps will creep up in stop and go when the last time I had a CSF it ran at 195-200 no matter what. I heard their quality level has slumped off since I bought my first one. Oh and with this one now I put on a new pump, fan clutch, thermostat, Mopar coolant sensor, new heater core, all with a rebuilt engine. So if I can't find a different reason for the temps creeping up I am going to spring for a factory HD replacement and see if that gets this thing under control.

Spectra premium oem stock replacement, it's got the relief cuts in the top and bottom.
IMO that's what keeps them from leaking, which isn't just a issue w/ xj's.
"Flexing", expansion and contraction will make a radiator leak.
My '96 FWB will twist up radiators on demand, I.E. too much gas pedal.
A problem with the body flexing was the issue, xj's are known for this.
Relief cuts fixed the problem, I'm hoping the spectra I put in the xj does the same.
Both were made in Canada and fit very well.

Champion 2 row all the way. I have put 4 in now including mine and they rock. Cools much better the stock and they r fully tig welded. No epoxy. 3 row seems to rub on condenser lines

Champion 2 row all the way. I have put 4 in now including mine and they rock. Cools much better the stock and they r fully tig welded. No epoxy. 3 row seems to rub on condenser lines

I had 5 Champions bust open on me and just poor fluid out. I will never buy another Champion again. Worst radiator and waste of money and I am not the only one who has had this issue. I am glad you have had luck but I bet money that luck will run out. I hope for your sake it doesn't because that was the most frustrating thing to ever have to go through.

I had 5 Champions bust open on me and just poor fluid out. I will never buy another Champion again. Worst radiator and waste of money and I am not the only one who has had this issue. I am glad you have had luck but I bet money that luck will run out. I hope for your sake it doesn't because that was the most frustrating thing to ever have to go through.

I had 3 fail on me when they finally said they'd give me my money back.

Back