• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ #11 fuse keeps blowing

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 XJ auto 4.0 4x4 and ever since about 2 years ago the #11 fuse in the fuse panel inside the cabin keeps blowing. It happens when the Jeep is under a sudden load and it happens more in the warmer months during the year. These days it happens most often when I am sitting waiting to turn left in front of on coming traffic and the Jeep just dies and puts me and my passengers in danger. I have not been able to figure this one out! My guess is that since it seems to happen most often in warmer months its due to whatever circuit that this short is in, the wires are hotter and we all know heat creates resistance and then with the extra surge or demand on the circuit causes the fuse to blow.

Anyone have a clue what in the circuit for fuse #11 could be causing my issue?

I really don't have a clue.

I start trouble shooting by looking closely at the insulation near the relevant connectors. The insulation will sometimes show heat there first.

Then check the pins in the connectors for discoloration.

I've used my finger tips on many occasions to try and pin down high amperage or heat in a circuit. If the wire feels hot there is likely an issue.

The simplest thing to check is the fuse holder, more often than you'd think this is the issue.

Last edited:
There is always the fire and smoke method. Bump the value of the fuse up. The wire where the current is going will get hot or melt. You then know where the problem is and can replace the wiring and fix the problem.

I'd remove the non essential item from the circuit, heater AC fans. And try driving it around for a while to see if the fuse still pops. If no change then the problem most likely is not in the disabled circuits. If the problem goes away then the problem lies most likely in the disabled circuits.

Disabled everything you can and still drive the car. If you disable the fan then just be cautious of the fact that you don't have the e fan in case of running warm.

Back