• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recommendations on CLEAN Brakes

Jeff-97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
1997 XJ, 4.0, 231J, 3" Old Man Emu Lift, 30" BFG-AT, 440,000 miles.

I would like recommendation on front brakes (Pads & Rotors). Every time I get new brakes they make my front wheels filthy with brake dust.

Is there a good combination of rotors and pads that stop well and do not give off any brake dust?

Appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks,-
Jeff-97XJ

All pads will produce dust, check out ebc greenstuff pads. I used to use the yellowstuff ones on one ofmy cars they worked awesome. Even though they werent rated as "low dust" they didnt get as messy as my OEMs. Rotors just get the closet to oem, drilled and slotted are a waste and will only chew up pads quicker.

Just an opinion but the dust is a good thing. Shows your pads are wearing/ablating and your discs aren't.

Seems to be less of an issue with premium pads, Bendix or Raybestos. Both have been in the business a long time and formulate for lower dust while still finding that happy medium between pad wear and disc wear.

I run Black Magic pads with Centric premium pads and love the brakes but hated the dust.
The fix? Switched to black anodized alloy wheels.
Some ceramic pads are light colored and do not dust as badly.

I purchased a set of Wagner Thermo quiet OE Scorched pads in 2009, since then I have used only that line of pads and shoes on everything I own.
I used to have problems with brake dust causing premature chrome peel on after market wheels, haven't had that issue since I been running them.
If I needed rotors, I buy them from Napa.

Last edited:
I run the the Napa SS pads, the middle of the road ones, and their regular rotors. Not the UP rotors which cost more. My Eccos stay clean.

Thank you all for your replies, I will be buying my rotors at NAPA and would like to know from the two of you who buy rotors there, they have 3 different rotors. Inexpensive, medium, pricey.
Which ones are you using that are not giving off brake dust?
Thank You,
Jeff-97XJ

I use the middle one.
Usually Napa has a regular replacement rotor that just gets the job done then one a little better, I choose the little better one in Napa name brand.
I would say the average cost of my rotors for most applications would be 40 to 45 dollars.
An old timer once advised me to choose the mid priced brake pads & rotors, so I have since I was a teenager.
Which is also how I chose the Wagner pads when the parts man offered me price ranges.
I know that's not much of a reason but it is what it is...

Last edited:
I purchased a set of Wagner Thermo quiet OE Scorched pads in 2009, since then I have used only that line of pads and shoes on everything I own.
I used to have problems with brake dust causing premature chrome peel on after market wheels, haven't had that issue since I been running them.
If I needed rotors, I buy them from Napa.

This, I got mine from advanced with a coupon for around $25, never looked back. They're a lot better than most parts store pads.

Thank you all for your replies, I will be buying my rotors at NAPA and would like to know from the two of you who buy rotors there, they have 3 different rotors. Inexpensive, medium, pricey.
Which ones are you using that are not giving off brake dust?
Thank You,
Jeff-97XJ

Like I said I bought the cheaper NB Line rotors and middle of the road SS pads. My Eccos stay clean. If I were to do it all over again I would go for the UP Line rotors and pads. Not because I am having problems though. I bought the '00 cheap and it was a fixer upper. Really did not know where I stood when I bought her. Shot in the dark kinda deal. So I was playing close to the vest as far as the cost of parts I was buying. The more she behaved herself the more I fixed. My thinking is that the dust problem is more of a pad thing then a rotor thing. Just don't buy cheap pads and all should be good.

X2 for the wagner thermo quiets. I run them on my F150 because their notorious for filthy front brakes. Ive ran the thermo quiets for about 20K now and its night and day. I wouldnt mind running EBC brand either but their twice the price.

My vote is to buy a set of Centric Rotors and Black Magic pads... and then deal w/the dust in another way. Either clean the wheels more often, get black wheels... or, not sure what other ideas.

The BM pads are FANTASTIC and are better than any other types I've tried in the past. I've not tried everything but I've never heard a bad review on the BM pads.

Here's what I just bought(maybe BM pads next round):
475b339818f7eaeab9c01f1c2342b85b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back