• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission clunk on shifting.

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
trans mount, motor mounts , U joints.

trans mount, motor mounts , U joints.

I'm assuming you are suggesting at least one of these are bad.

Transmission mount is brand new with the SYE. Motor mounts are original (147xxx on them). U-joints in the drive shaft are new before the Cherokee Crawl last July. Visually motor mounts don't look worn.

well, then control arm bushings, leaf bushings, double check U joints and /or swap em out. trans mount could already be bad too, I've seen them go fast sometimes.

Did you clock the tcase? is it hitting the floor?

New motor mounts don't have a gap at the top between the rubber and the metal around. If they're original and sagged, you can probably put a screwdriver right through the top. Also, in the bottom of the mount there is about a 1/16-3/32" H x 1"W oval hole through the rubber. If you don't see a hole, the rubber is collapsing. It just doesn't look like rubber mounts are causing your clunking though.

What does clock the transfer case mean?

What does clock the transfer case mean?

im not sure if you are joking or not here. but if you have to ask, your answer is no - you have a almost 5k post count so Im assuming you know what clocking a tcase means.

My atlas is clocked higher than stock and even after hitting the floor a bunch with a sledge , it was hitting the floor when shifting from P to R to D etc. I put a TMR mount on the back of the atlas off a second cross member I built- and no more clanking.

Well, no, I wasn't joking. Until I did the SYE, I've never done anything at all with a transfer case, so I asked in all sincerity.

The way I check my motor mounts is to grab the valve cover from the side and give it a hefty push. If your mounts are loose you'll usually feel it.

A few things that weren't mentioned are:

The rear axle U-bolts, which I've manged to stretch before.

Fair wear and tear on the pinion and ring gear. Carrier bearings, pinion bearings or just ring and pinion play (which often doesn't really mean much).

A slightly high idle can make it all sound worse than it is.

Best guess is it might be your carrier bearings, which I've had to change with less than 200,000 miles, sometimes way less, on one XJ at a 130,000 miles.

^^ this seems more likely. See how much you can turn the pinion yoke back and forth with the tires on the ground. Transmission in neutral or disconnect the driveshaft at the differential pinion.

New motor mounts don't have a gap at the top between the rubber and the metal around. If they're original and sagged, you can probably put a screwdriver right through the top. Also, in the bottom of the mount there is about a 1/16-3/32" H x 1"W oval hole through the rubber. If you don't see a hole, the rubber is collapsing. It just doesn't look like rubber mounts are causing your clunking though.

Ding, ding, ding. Turns out I can put a screwdriver through the top. I'm going to get a set of Brown Dogs and see if that helps.

Once that is complete (in about 2 or 3 weeks when I get off the road) I'll start working my way down the list.

Back