• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Oil

brielly

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a new Denso compressor plus replaced all ac components. I had added 2 oz. to the evaporator and figured the rest would go in the compressor and drier. The problem is the Denso comp comes with a factory charge of 8 oz. The info I got online says the 2001 only takes 6. When I attempted to emty the compressor only 2 oz came out. I called denso and they confirmed that the comp came to me with 8 0z. Does anyone know the correct amount for the 01 and why cant I get any oil to come out of the new compressor???

2001 takes 6 oz.

I'm not sure why you can't get more than 2 oz out of it, unless only 2 oz was put into it. Did you try rotating the clutch plate when you were trying to empty it?

I rotated the plate and got nothing! A bit less than 2 oz came out in total. The old compressor supposedly takes 8 oz (according to the sticker on it)and not the 6 I found online. That would be great as I already put 2 in the evaporator. The problem is, I can only assume there is still 6 in the compressor.

I would be inclined to think that it didn't have 8 oz of oil in it.

The FSM clearly states 6 oz.

The FSM on earlier models state 8 oz.

I buy my A/C parts from Auto Zone. The compressor I bought was filled with "shipping oil" that was to be drained and the correct amount put in.

When I refilled the system I put about 4 oz in the accumulator & 2 oz in the compressor.

If turning the clutch plate a bunch of times yields nothing come out, you could just assume it was shipped with only 2 oz. Or you could be skeptical of it, and get another compressor.

I was thinking that but would really love to know for sure. The tag on the old compressor calling for 8 oz is also confusing and has me wondering which number is correct. The old compressor was made in 2000. Is it possible that they switched to 6 shortly after it was made? Both Denso and sanden state that their new compresssors come shipped with the proper amount of oil for the entire system. When I called denso they also told me 8 oz. So confusing!

Last edited:
A/C oil capacity is normally determined by the vehicle manufacturer. That's why its listed in the FSM and probably also on firewall/radiator support.

I am not sure why Chrysler reduced the oil amount between 1997-2001. I suspect it was in 2000 when they changed from having the e-fan on whenever the clutch was engaged to set by the high pressure switch. At the same time they probably reduced the oil amount from 8 to 6 oz to give a bit more cooling system performance related to the fan control change.

I would exchange the compressor for a replacement if you want to see how much comes out of the next one. But I suspect it is now empty and you need to add 4 oz to the system. I would some of the 4 oz in the accumulator and the rest in the compressor.

The oil mixes with the refrigerant and travels throughout the system as it operates.

Last edited:
Unfortunately theres no quick way to exchange the compressor since it was purchased through Rock auto. I cant wait another week for the new unit to come in. I think your right to assume the compressor is empty at this point. I figure I'll add 3 to the compressor and one to the accumulator and give it a shot. Thanks for your help!

I usually buy parts like these locally so if there's an issue I can go put it in the counter and ask for another one.

A/C oil capacity is normally determined by the vehicle manufacturer. That's why its listed in the FSM and probably also on firewall/radiator support.

I am not sure why Chrysler reduced the oil amount between 1997-2001. I suspect it was in 2000 when they changed from having the e-fan on whenever the clutch was engaged to set by the high pressure switch. At the same time they probably reduced the oil amount from 8 to 6 oz to give a bit more cooling system performance related to the fan control change.

I would exchange the compressor for a replacement if you want to see how much comes out of the next one. But I suspect it is now empty and you need to add 4 oz to the system. I would some of the 4 oz in the accumulator and the rest in the compressor.

The oil mixes with the refrigerant and travels throughout the system as it operates.

In 1997 Chrysler upgraded the condenser to a parallel flow style that may not need as much oil as the old style condensers that held a lot of trapped oil. I bought one of them for my 1987 upgrade.

In 1997 Chrysler upgraded the condenser to a parallel flow style that may not need as much oil as the old style condensers that held a lot of trapped oil. I bought one of them for my 1987 upgrade.

That's true, but they still said 8 oz in 1997.

Most of the oil blends with the refrigerant and travels through the system as it operates, or it leaks out with the refrigerant. This is why when you have vehicles with refrigerant leaks, you'll often find no oil or low oil in the system and the compressor may be noisy.

Back