• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Would you pay $1200 for a kingpin 60.

Mr.Smith

NAXJA Forum User
I have found two different kingpin 60's. One is entirely complete steering and axle. The other is missing something steering wise, (crossover bar maybe) but is already 4.10 geared. Haven't checked for lockers in either one yet. Just curious what you all think about the price.

All depends on location. Around here in New England, front 60's are easily had for $2-300. Go to the opposite coast though and expect to pay like a grand. I assume you're looking at a Ford HP drivers drop 60, they never have lockers factory so don't get your hopes up

That's on the high side of what people seem to pay, but they do pay it.

Myself, I want to say I wouldn't pay more than 5 or 6 hundred, but then I don't see them for sale every week like I did 10 years ago either so maybe more.

You should pick up two for me, I'll pay for them, then I will pay for your gas to haul them out to ColoradoFest.

All depends on location. Around here in New England, front 60's are easily had for $2-300. Go to the opposite coast though and expect to pay like a grand. I assume you're looking at a Ford HP drivers drop 60, they never have lockers factory so don't get your hopes up

Ross, you should get some then sell them at Cherokee Crawl. You might be able to get your trip paid for that way. I'd buy one.

If you're looking for a front 60, looking into the super duty axles, 05+ and you get 35 spline inner and outer shafts. They are way cheaper than the KP 78-79 axles.

I agree the super 60 is generally easier to find but the kingpin 60, the later model kingpin has more room than any of the others on the short tube side, so there is no need to cut into the pumpkin for bucket clearances, and of course the ease of high steer with nothing more than purchasing the new arms. Not to mention the place that has these axles charges the same for a Ball joint as he does the kingpins. Weird I know, but he does it that way.

Yeah, the fact that no one was really over the top.... "Hell yeah buy em" I assume I can do better. So I may try to talk him down and if he won't budge I will move on. Thanks to all for the replies.

If you're looking for a front 60, looking into the super duty axles, 05+ and you get 35 spline inner and outer shafts. They are way cheaper than the KP 78-79 axles.

That's my route, in many ways the 05+ SD60's are much beefier than a KP60

I saw one here listed for $1300. The ad was not up for long. I listed a BJ D-60 for $800, it did not last 24 hours. Turns out the buyer's room-mate just bought a KP D-60, both were happy with their purchase.

Well, I haven't made any headway on this purchase, but I was given an old 1 ton chevy today with a 14BFF under it. So, at least there is a "no cost to get it" jump start for me.

I have two front superduty 60's one complete minus calipers and another missing short shaft and wheel bearing. Comes with a rear 10.5 sterling I'm looking for $800 but I'm just north of chicago.

Would I again?

No.

These days it makes more sense to dump that money into an aftermarket housing, instead of a 30+ year old axle.

This also depends on how much you plan to keep.

Me, I ended up only keeping the housing/bearing caps, spindles, hubs, and caliper mounts. Every bearing, seal, etc. got replaced on mine...as well as shafts, gears, lockouts, knuckles, kingpins, etc.

Now, I'd probably look into something like a SOLID axle housing, Inner C's, knuckles, etc. and build it to accept OEM length shafts.

A SOLID axle (just using them as an example) HP D60 housing and knuckles is ~$1300. Add some Tube and your not *too* far off of where I was with a stock, 30+ year old housing.

Back