• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help deciding on a lift

notamechanic

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

I know this topic and question have been beaten into the ground, and I also know it is very subjective. I am torn between Rough Country's 4.5" x series lift, and Rubicon Express 3.5" super ride lift. Both with full leaf packs. I like the idea of RC because it is complete, but I am honestly apprehensive due to the reviews pertaining to the lift. Rubicon Express seems to have positive reviews and seems like a solid lift. I plan on running 32 inch tires and eventually trim and bump up to 33's on either of the lifts.

Has anyone experienced both kits? And can you unbiasedly share your thoughts on the two? And also, if you can recommend any other kits that I should consider looking at. My budget is in the $900 and below range.

Cheers,
-Kevin

Last edited:
Hello all,

I know this topic and question have been beaten into the ground, and I also know it is very subjective. I am torn between Rough Country's 4.5" x series lift, and Rubicon Express 3.5" super ride lift. Both with full leaf packs. I like the idea of RC because it is complete, but I am honestly apprehensive due to the reviews pertaining to the lift. Rubicon Express seems to have positive reviews and seems like a solid lift. I plan on running 32 inch tires and eventually trim and bump up to 33's on either of the lifts.

Has anyone experienced both kits? And can you unbiasedly share your thoughts on the two? And also, if you can recommend any other kits that I should consider looking at. My budget is in the $900 and below range.

Cheers,
-Kevin

I cant speak to the RE lift, but I have used many of the 4.5 rc kits and they have all rode very rough and the rear has sagged quite a bit. Another issue for the 4.5 kit is that your control arms will be at a very steep angle and will make for a concrete truck style ride on bumpy terrain. If you do any dd with your rig and want a smooth ride withoit spending a ton of money i wouldnt go any bigger than 3 inches and 31's. For this I would highly recommend Old man emu lift. Its around 900. At 4.5 and 33's you will not only be looking at needing to do either long arms or Drop brackets then you might need a sye.. Down the road you will also probably start thinking of either 4:10 or 4:56 gears.... It adds up quick man. Ive buily many jeeps and have finally come to the conclusion that if its a dd/ weekend warrior keep her at 3 imho anyway:cheers:

I have a RCX 6.5" X-series about 3 years old.
The only thing that made it after 3 years were the lower control arms and drop pitman arm which I am still using both.

The coils are usable but I just went down to 4" on different springs.
The worst part was the track bar failing, which has been replaced by RCX with a new design, using bushings at each end instead of a heim.
The failure also cost me an upper control arm which is why they are no longer in use, no track bar with four flex joint arms is extremely dangerous.
I replaced it with a Rubicon express 1660 and bracket.

I'm not going to go into alot of detail, but everything I have replaced on my suspension to get away from worn or failing RCX parts was with name brands other than rcx, no matter the cost difference.

If you go with the x-series, atleast use leaf springs from another company.

I've read, several times, that the RE 3.5 gives more than 3.5" of lift....having no personal experience I can't guarantee that result.
I suppose I learned the hard way that buying individual pieces is the way to go instead of a kit, although I feel like the RE 3.5 would serve you well.

Hope that gives a little insight.

X2 on what XJ=Fun said about 3" being best for a DD.
I'd go with the RE 3.5 and add a RE1600 track bar to it, if it's not included.

Last edited:
I sincerely hope it will be for you.
The RE parts I have serve me well.

In the 3" category, the RE 3.5 seems to be the most inclusive, with the exception of the track bar.
The super ride kit with twin tube shocks and buying the RE1600 track bar seperately should put you spendng around $950.

There are other brands and options, but I believe for a kit with shocks, the rubicon should ride the best and have more longevity.

Hello all,

Cheers,
-Kevin

I have had both lifts, but can't be unbiased......I have an RE 3.5 on one of my XJ's kit and while it's held up for a decent amount of time it sucks. Only RC kit I had was on my K5 and it rode horrible, but any leaf for a 12" lift would. OME kit is great, never had it, but it's never fit my MO. A lot of your question surrounds what you want the lift to do. If you just want a mall crawler it's going to be different than a rock hopper.

I have had both lifts, but can't be unbiased......I have an RE 3.5 on one of my XJ's kit and while it's held up for a decent amount of time it sucks. Only RC kit I had was on my K5 and it rode horrible, but any leaf for a 12" lift would. OME kit is great, never had it, but it's never fit my MO. A lot of your question surrounds what you want the lift to do. If you just want a mall crawler it's going to be different than a rock hopper.

What makes it suck? I think I'm going to buy the super ride kit, then in a few weeks get the trackbar and adjustable lowers and quick discos. Is there anything that I'll need right away? And can I get away with street driving on the stock trackbar and front brake lines for a few weeks?

I eventually want to go up to 33's or 35's, regear, lock etc etc. I've had a yj and tj prior to this XJ but never built them because the mileage was too high and too many parts needed to be replaced - wasn't worth the time and money. But Now I have an XJ with 71k on it and want to take it out to some moderately difficult trails and few rocks, would even like to hit the rubicon and dusy ershim ( I'm dreaming at this point). I've got a friend with a jk on 37s who goes out with the wayalife dudes. I know I won't be able to keep up with them, but at least hit some trails with my buddy.

At any rate, I figure with the 3.5 re, when I decide to go up in tires I'll trim, buy the 4.5" springs and some 1 inch shackles for the rear.
Another unrelated question since I am new to the XJ scene, how important are frame stiffeners? Are they something I should consider investing in as soon as I can?

What makes it suck? I think I'm going to buy the super ride kit, then in a few weeks get the trackbar and adjustable lowers and quick discos. Is there anything that I'll need right away? And can I get away with street driving on the stock trackbar and front brake lines for a few weeks?

I eventually want to go up to 33's or 35's, regear, lock etc etc. I've had a yj and tj prior to this XJ but never built them because the mileage was too high and too many parts needed to be replaced - wasn't worth the time and money. But Now I have an XJ with 71k on it and want to take it out to some moderately difficult trails and few rocks, would even like to hit the rubicon and dusy ershim ( I'm dreaming at this point). I've got a friend with a jk on 37s who goes out with the wayalife dudes. I know I won't be able to keep up with them, but at least hit some trails with my buddy.

At any rate, I figure with the 3.5 re, when I decide to go up in tires I'll trim, buy the 4.5" springs and some 1 inch shackles for the rear.
Another unrelated question since I am new to the XJ scene, how important are frame stiffeners? Are they something I should consider investing in as soon as I can?

I would wait if you plan on getting adjustable track bar within the next few weeks or you will need to redrill your trackbar hole... If you dont your axle will be off center about an inch or so. Another thing to think about is if your rear axle can handle 35's most dana 35's will break easily with anything over 33's and even 33's are questionable to be honest.

I would wait if you plan on getting adjustable track bar within the next few weeks or you will need to redrill your trackbar hole... If you dont your axle will be off center about an inch or so. Another thing to think about is if your rear axle can handle 35's most dana 35's will break easily with anything over 33's and even 33's are questionable to be honest.

Yeah maybe I will wait just to be safe. I luckily have the chrystler 8.25. I know a Dana 44 would be more substantial but I think 33's or 35s would be fine with chomoly shafts and proper gears.

It rides horrible, the bushing are garbage and it's just not well built IMHO. You can get away with stock brake lines and track bar, but then you're just going to be back under it. I would wait till you have the parts and then tear into it. If you eventually want to run 35's you should consider a long arm kit or something more suitable for that type of set-up. A short arm kit with 35's isn't going to give you a good ride let alone a lot to do on a trail. Just remember it's never a simple swap one part thing. Once you start swapping axles, and tires you'll have to do steering and other things. At elast if you want it done right. Have you looked at IronRock offroad? I use a lot of their stuff and am a huge fan. I'm going to use some of their parts on my next XJ build.

In regards to frame stiffeners, depends on how hard you wheel it. My 93 has been to hell and back without stiffeners but now the uni body is shot and will get scrapped to make way for my new 01. It's a sound investment for anyone but I would say for 33's plus probably a damn good idea if you want to wheel it.

Just a thought but instead of starting with the lift and hoping to build off that maybe start with some of the other cheaper things first and then progress to it. You can have the biggest baddest mamba jamba lift but if you have a stock tie rod and bend it, that lift won't save no one. You can make a fairly stock XJ do some awesome stuff. Plus rumbling on 35's with stock gears SUCKS and getting decent axles/gears isn't cheap.

Honestly, after working on/maintaining my neighbor's TJ, I'd never touch a RC lift again. Their shit is low quality (uneven coils) and the joints suck balls.

I'd piece a kit together and get *good* stuff. Buy once, cry once.

Honestly, after working on/maintaining my neighbor's TJ, I'd never touch a RC lift again. Their shit is low quality (uneven coils) and the joints suck balls.

I'd piece a kit together and get *good* stuff. Buy once, cry once.

This

Iron rock seems like a good company but their kits with full leaf packs are out of my range. And for the next few months I'm really just looking to get the jeep off the ground. Even coming from my very slightly modified TJ this thing is too sad and low stock. Aside from it being possibly the best looking suv ever produced its height and 29" tires are an absolute atrocity lol.

I always forget about zone lifts, I hear they are produced by BDS?

Can anyone vouch for any of their products? The 4.5" looks decent and seems they always have good reviews.

Well, after some reading, I think I'm going with Zone 4.5" lift with aals ( my leafs are still in surprisingly good condition) . This leaves me enough extra cash to get brake lines, track bar and disconnects. I'll buy full leaf packs when these start to sag. I'll of course be buying a sye this summer too.

Well, after some reading, I think I'm going with Zone 4.5" lift with aals ( my leafs are still in surprisingly good condition) . This leaves me enough extra cash to get brake lines, track bar and disconnects. I'll buy full leaf packs when these start to sag. I'll of course be buying a sye this summer too.

Im actually running zone right now in one of my rigs, i installed it two years ago. I would deff recommend going with a full pack though as even my full pack kit has sagged over the last two years.. The back of the jeep sits much lower than the front now, looks like ish and the ride is very stiff.

Im actually running zone right now in one of my rigs, i installed it two years ago. I would deff recommend going with a full pack though as even my full pack kit has sagged over the last two years.. The back of the jeep sits much lower than the front now, looks like ish and the ride is very stiff.

Yeah the aals would definitely be temporary. I'd be happy if the jeep sat straight for at least a couple of months. I was just looking at the currie leaf springs as a future option. Planning on running a tire carrier so I'll need some full leafs for sure. I also would like the jeep to have a bit of a rake to it so it sits level loaded with camping gear.

What do you think of the lift compared to others you've experienced?

As much as a kit sounds tempting, you'll save more by buying used and piecing your own kit. That extra money can go to gears, tires, steering, etc...
But if a kit is what you want, zone, old man emu, those will give you the best bang for your buck

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

As much as a kit sounds tempting, you'll save more by buying used and piecing your own kit. That extra money can go to gears, tires, steering, etc...
But if a kit is what you want, zone, old man emu, those will give you the best bang for your buck

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I've been looking around on craigslist and ebay and haven't found much for used stuff. And not sure I'd trust it, could be sagging or abused too much. But yeah right now definitely looking for the best bang for my buck and as funds come in I'll upgrade 1 piece at a time.

Thanks again for all the advice, any other insights would be much appreciated!
:cheers:

Back