• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New steering box play

CarbonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So my old 212k mile stock steering box has been leaking at the input seal for a while now. I though about just replacing the seal, or a Durango upgrade, but went ahead and swapped on a stock replacement reman'd unit from Autozone. Install went smooth; broke the 2nd bolt off in the spacer (spacer came out inact!) but had a JCR spacer and hardware to install. New Pitman arm as well. Gravity fed new fluid, bled system and buttoned it back up. No leaks at all! I did bump my wheel I believe so now my steering wheel isn't centered, but i'll take it for an alignment anyways. Driven about 80 miles now, steering is lighter and easier to turn than previous.

Issues are as follows:
1) Steering still has significant play in it. Feels like a straight up dead spot when you turn left to right. At any point in the turn, if you change direction, there is 3" or so of no reaction, no feeling. Video:
http://https://youtu.be/UPRNA8CWHPk
2) When I first cranked up I didn't make it fast enough to fill the reservoir (already full) when it sucked more fluid in; foamed. Let it sit and then got back on track adding as it pulled down and bled. Problem or not?
3) When turning now, the pump makes noise randomly. When I'm at a stop, turn the wheel a little, then accelerate, it makes noise like it's at full lock. Also does it when driving through a turn holding steady throttle and steering.

I do notice what I first thought was metal in the fresh fluid, but now I believe it to be bubbles. Very small bubbles. Could I be sucking air in to cause the noise? I have zero leaks and no fluid residue.

First off, where did you get your "new" steering box? Well that answers that . I have rebuilt over a hundred boxes over the years. I have a commercial Autozone account, so when I had 4 orders waiting and no cores, I went and bought 4 from AZ. I pulled them apart to drill and tap them. Of all of the boxes, none had the right number of balls in it. None had an equal number of the two sizes of balls either. None was adjusted correctly.

I say the problem is most likely in the box and the adjustment, but if you don't know how to adjust one, I would be very careful. You could end up side down on the highway.

Last edited:
I'll check on the isolator after work.

I am familiar with the box adjustment, but have never actually adjusted one. I thought about that on my old box, but it was rusty, leaky and I thought to just swap it out.

If you had to pick a box store to get one from, what would you suggest? I'm thinking this box is going back and I'm heading to Oreilly's or Napa to pick one up.

I'd like to pick up the PSC 14:1 ratio box, but I can't afford it. Is there any person or place I can send my box in and have it rebuilt and tested properly?

RedHead steering does rebuilds but it'll cost you. When I swapped out my steering I did the WJ/Durango upgrade and it's amazing, HUGE improvement over my tired stock setup. I went with Lares (they are in the US http://www.larescorp.com/products/ ) got parts through rockauto and it was a lot cheaper than anywhere else. My box and pump where cheaper than the pump alone from Autozone. If you didn't change your pump with the box it may just be that the pump is tired and you'll need to do that now. I'm also assuming by bled the system you mean, 20 times lock to lock on the wheel without it running right? Otherwise you may just have some air in there

I had steering problems for years, 2 remans never came close to fixing it. Finally got a used box from a newer XJ and that made a huge improvement. I wouldn't bother with advance or auto zone remanufactured.

I need to look up the Durango box swap for my 85

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had steering problems for years, 2 remans never came close to fixing it. Finally got a used box from a newer XJ and that made a huge improvement. I wouldn't bother with advance or auto zone remanufactured.

I need to look up the Durango box swap for my 85

Do it!! IT's an awesome setup IMHO. Turn's my 33's with a pinky. Just off the top of my head (and I may be wrong on years) its a WJ pump and Durango steering box from a 99-01. Just remember to keep the hose fitting from the XJ pump, you'll need to thread a hole and bam, awesome steering! Took my a solid weekend to do it along with some other stuff as I was in there.

I'll bet the majority of reman boxes are rebadged cardone. Meaning junk. You'll go thru a few before you find one that works properly. Good reman power steering components are hard to find, and you'll pay for quality. I've had better luck with junkyard parts, or rebuilding them yourself

Do it!! IT's an awesome setup IMHO. Turn's my 33's with a pinky. Just off the top of my head (and I may be wrong on years) its a WJ pump and Durango steering box from a 99-01. Just remember to keep the hose fitting from the XJ pump, you'll need to thread a hole and bam, awesome steering! Took my a solid weekend to do it along with some other stuff as I was in there.

Will that work on a 85? It has the gm style power steering pump with v-belts.

Yeah I've read the horror stories with the reman'd boxes - right now it seems that's my only choice. I'm just not comfortable with rebuilding the box myself, even though I have the skills and tools; especially since this is a DD and my other little passengers need to remain safe.
Has anyone sent a box out to West Texas offroad for a rebuild?

I don't really need the WJ/Durango upgrade, as I only run 4" lift and 31s - I will not go bigger, I just dont' need it for my off road areas. The PSC Delphi 14:1 ratio is a really attractive part, but funds are very limited right now. I really just need a replacement without the amount of death wish play in it!!

With a limited budget I'd hunt up a used one the newest and lowest mileage available.
Maybe somebody here will know a good rebuilder in your area.

how ar your TREs and trackbar?
Also, bad ball joints can can have your wheel turned but your wheels wanting to go straight if they are really bad.

Will that work on a 85? It has the gm style power steering pump with v-belts.

Possibly, You can re use your pulley so it should matter for the belt. Mounting may be different, I'm no renix expert but I'm pretty sure it's something that could possibly be done. Think it would just matter how stuff bolts up.

Yeah I've read the horror stories with the reman'd boxes - right now it seems that's my only choice. I'm just not comfortable with rebuilding the box myself, even though I have the skills and tools; especially since this is a DD and my other little passengers need to remain safe.
Has anyone sent a box out to West Texas offroad for a rebuild?

I don't really need the WJ/Durango upgrade, as I only run 4" lift and 31s - I will not go bigger, I just dont' need it for my off road areas. The PSC Delphi 14:1 ratio is a really attractive part, but funds are very limited right now. I really just need a replacement without the amount of death wish play in it!!

I had thought about west texas but price wise I didn't want to swing it. Remans do suck but that why I went with Lares since they are here and not China/India junk. Only nice part is they have a warranty so every time it craps out just go get another. That PSC would be overkill if your only rumbling 31's. As suggested you can see if anyone local can do rebuilds.

Track bar and TREs are all new last year and in good shape still. ball joints are original but still solid.

Yeah I think I'll give the Lares a try - part #1353, is what you bought Smokey? I'm going to pull this one off and get my money back and then order it from RockAuto.

I actually have an extra stock pump from when I broke the reservoir nipple and just bought the whole thing from pullapart a few years ago for like $10. What exactly are the mods for the pressure boost on that? drill out a connector where?

Track bar and TREs are all new last year and in good shape still. ball joints are original but still solid.

Yeah I think I'll give the Lares a try - part #1353, is what you bought Smokey? I'm going to pull this one off and get my money back and then order it from RockAuto.

I actually have an extra stock pump from when I broke the reservoir nipple and just bought the whole thing from pullapart a few years ago for like $10. What exactly are the mods for the pressure boost on that? drill out a connector where?

I can't remember exactly I have a post I think from a while back when I did the swap. Are you just wanting to do a stock box or the durango? No mods on anything really. If you are swapping in the WJ pump you would just use your XJ connector and thread a bolt hole. If you are just doing the box you shouldn't have to touch a thing

Just the box. Pump has been quiet and trouble free since day one.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

The part # you have should be for a standard XJ box.

So I did some looking through my old stuff. PSC can do a rebuild of your stock box, they can even tap it too, and it was 280 for a rebuild and 350 for rebuild and tap when I called.

Another thought (just because :rtm:) using a YJ box. TnT has a kit for them, and I sure you could fab something as well if your inclined, YJ box has fixed 3:1 ratio and a 4th mounting ear. I also remember reading about the old J20 box it had the larger piston (similar to the durango box) think it was fixed and had the 4th mounting ear. It was just tough to find them and need some work to get them in.

Ordered the Lares box. Should have it installed over the weekend, I hope.

Took off the bad box, and the JCR spacer washers have deformed just from the stock torque. Going to replace with larger grade 8 ones.
93e1b16e59fabcd6346e87b2784629c1.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk

Back