• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

14 bolt experts chime in.....

TRCM

NAXJA Forum User
So I got this 14b shaved housing, hubs/bearings, & 2 complete axle sets for it left over from a previous project & just taking up space in my garage.

It came from a van, which is a 70" wms-wms per my research.

If I use hubs from a dually or C/C truck, I can chop ~ 3" off this wms (1 1/2" per side), so I'd be down to 67" (may already have the hubs actually, need to check)

Then, if I cut down the long side tube, and use the 2 short side axles, that'd get me down to 61" or so wms-wms.......

I'm thinking I could make that work in an XJ.......yea / nay ????

I mean, yeah, a 14b is way overkill for how I use my cherokee, but I have the parts, why not make use of them, since no one seems to want to pay me for them. It's gotta be cheaper than building a super 35 or anything else I don't already have....and it means when I do put a V8 in it, my axles are already good to go.

Unless someone wants to trade me a d60 rear that will accept the 3 brand new 35 spl shafts I got sitting here for the 14b stuff.

Last edited:
14B > D60 rear
It appears as if you have most of what you need to install it.
Truss it, and I would go at least a bit wider than XJ width.

Vans came in different widths/wheel/brake setups. Measure your shafts too to figure out which ones they are

Just went out and measured with the hubs on...
1) 70" wms with the hubs on (58" flange to flange, and flange to WMS on the hub is 6" per side)
2) There is exactly a 6" difference between the long & short shafts
3) I do need the long snout hubs, or just deal with a ~64" axle (was gonna use aftermarket flares anyway)

So, it looks like I am gonna be looking HARD at putting a 14b under the 96..............now to find a suitable front axle as well

Measure the 35spline shafts and I'll let you sell them to me to fund your build lol...

https://www.yukongear.com/productdetails.aspx?ProdID=3868

I got 3 of them......minor surface rust from sitting in the box on the shelf for 10 yrs

Last edited:
What size tires? Cutting it down seems like a lot of work when there are already narrower ones out there CHEAP.

I would take a 14b over a 60 every day of the week.

To me, cutting it down isn't any harder than shaving it.

And as said, it is way overkill, as the biggest tires it will see are probably 35's. I'm getting too old to climb any higher to get in.

may be on the housing width......likely will be coil springs anyway.

To me, cutting it down isn't any harder than shaving it.

And as said, it is way overkill, as the biggest tires it will see are probably 35's. I'm getting too old to climb any higher to get in.

may be on the housing width......likely will be coil springs anyway.

for 35's bolt in an 29 spl 8.25 or a 8.8. You are doing waaaaaaay to much work for 35's, the 14b will be a rock anchor.

may be....but I have it, don't have to buy it....and it will handle a very healthy v8, that is in the plans later on

Not sure on the boat anchor...it's shaved, so the bottom of the diff to the axle centerline is 5.5"-6".......what is it on an 8.25 or 8.8 ?? 5.8" ??

Last edited:
may be....but I have it, don't have to buy it....and it will handle a very healthy v8, that is in the plans later on

Not sure on the boat anchor...it's shaved, so the bottom of the diff to the axle centerline is 5.5"-6".......what is it on an 8.25 or 8.8 ?? 5.8" ??

You could always sell the 14b to fund an 8.8 swap, and probably come out ahead...

If you do decide to keep the 14b, a proper shave can indeed give a good amount of clearance for a beast of an axle...and it gives you the option to go bigger than 35s if you desire in the future given you have a proper front to go with it.

Built this recently for a customer and was quite impressed with the clearance...I wanted to keep it for myself! lol
IMG_20160304_151420658.jpg

Ring gear clearance:
IMG_20160304_121315819_HDR.jpg

Armor!!
IMG_20160304_151442866.jpg

Last edited:
Also, not very many people destroy stock 14b 30-spline axle shafts. And you do not even have the added work of shaving it, set it up and run it!

I'm mostly done swapping a 14 bolt into a friends LS1 powered CJ5.

we put DRW hubs on a SRW axle to get the width closer to "normal" its down to 63.5"

I wouldn't want it any narrower if it were going under an XJ, I think it could work; but we're going to have 37"s on it. 65ish would be better with big tires.

without the shave I would never want this axle on 35"s. and even then I think 37"s are small for it. but if you aren't wheeling rocks its probably fine. Heavy as **** though. you'll want the v8

Mine hung up on everyrhing on 37s . 40s are much nicer . It does hang low but a true shave will get it to 44 height

I run a 8.8" with a healthy V8 and 35"s. it gets the job done and would be afraid to run 38"s if my front 44 could handle it.

Guys....I get what you are saying.....but I have this stuff, and so far, no one wants to buy it from me.....just trying to figure out if I can use it.

I hate spending money to do something when I have parts that will work & are already paid for just sitting around going to waste. Especially when I know it won't ever break the way it will be used.

A V8 swap is in the plans, and if 1 ton axles are under the XJ, it'll will be very healthy, & no extra $$ would be needed for beefing them up.

And I said 35s for tires cuz I ain't gonna be climbing into it. If I do a LCOG build, may be bigger rubber under it. Right now I am looking at TnT / Clayton for coil spring conversions in the 6.5" variety.

I also did not consider the possibility of the disc brake setup interfering with the rear springs (coil or leaf, not sure at this point)

Last edited:
Back