• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Popping/Clicking sound on accel?

Throws

NAXJA Forum User
I finally got some other things figured out, now I want to get this taken care of.

When the engine is cold, or a warm start...I get a clicking/popping noise on acceleration. It's there for a few minutes, then it goes away. During that time, I can mitigate it by going easy on the throttle. After a minute or so of driving, no more issues (but then again, I'm not jamming on it like it's a race).

I've replaced the MAP (OEM) and TPS (AutoZone). I've got the updated exhaust manifold (1999.5 MY) with the flexy bits between 1-2 and 5-6.

It's the last real nuisance issue I have after doing all the other work.

Thanks!

-P

'99 XJ 4.0L AW4

Poping clicking? Is like a back fire engine bogging or mechanical clanking?

Flex plate is the first thing to come to mind, lose bolts or cracked plate. It can make a noise that sounds like the engine is about to fail. I'm
Not sure it'd go away. But it's more pronounced at certain rpm

Suspension, ujoints, maybe.

Engine. Not sure. Timing maybe, exhausted leaks somewhere, o2 sensors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poping clicking? Is like a back fire engine bogging or mechanical clanking?

Flex plate is the first thing to come to mind, lose bolts or cracked plate. It can make a noise that sounds like the engine is about to fail. I'm
Not sure it'd go away. But it's more pronounced at certain rpm

Suspension, ujoints, maybe.

Engine. Not sure. Timing maybe, exhausted leaks somewhere, o2 sensors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's like a backfire/bogging...but not a backfire. It goes away after a minutes, but it's only at load. So for the first minute or so, I always nurse it along.

-P

It's like a backfire/bogging...but not a backfire. It goes away after a minutes, but it's only at load. So for the first minute or so, I always nurse it along.

-P
I'd check fuel pressure.
Maybe clean the IAC since the TPS is new.
if the o2 sensor is bad is can mess with mixture.

Back